What now after crowdfunding

So now that the crowdfunding is over, what’s the next step?

Are they gonna start issuing out the cards etc?

Let’s get Brexit sorted first :grinning:

5 Likes

It’ll usually take a week or so to get everything in order (sometimes longer), then once everyone is happy at Curve and Crowdcube, share certificates will be issued.

As I understand it, Curve will be in touch with regards the other stuff in due course.

1 Like

I assume before the share certificates are issued Crowdcube will take payment :wink: (nobody has actually handed over any money yet)

1 Like

The payment should be taken in the next 8 days.

Correct. Crowdcube don’t take money until around a week after the round is fully funded - it’s in their FAQ :wink:

So the crowdcube email address will automatically connect with your curve account?

I mean how does curve knows which account user has joined the funding and they should issue new investor card which im holding a curve metal?

If yes, so does crowdcube has disclosure terms to curve?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems obvious to me that Curve would need to know who their investors are…

Typically accounts are matched by email address I believe.

Re-reading this May 2016 FT article about Curve at https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/05/25/2163158/its-no-fun-when-amex-throws-your-startup-a-curve-ball/ reminded me just how busted their original business model (which involved Amex acceptance and earning the much higher credit card rates from a business card before then only being recharged near the retail card interchange rate) actually is.

So it now makes perfect sense to me that after spending some time yesterday agonising about investing £1,000 or £5,000 (I don’t think £25,000 was ever on the cards due to the relatively high risk of the firm simply going belly up in due course) that I didn’t invest at all…

1 Like

To be fair to them, they have moved on an awful lot since then. Certainly not worth a £25,000 investment - if anyone has that much money that they can effectively write off, I can think of at least 100 much better ways to help change the world with it.

But for a small, nominal investment in something that might turn out to be genuinely revolutionary to an industry that is so stuck in the past that even the new players aren’t really doing anything particularly new or interesting (what do Monzo, Revolut, N26 and the like actually do differently to each other or existing banks that people actually need?), I think it’s worth it.

But of course it’s your money and nobody should be making investment decisions based on anything more than their own interpretation of the factual data and information presented through reputable and official channels.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly & was certainly worth a small punt.

It was a close call re me investing (as I was torn both ways yesterday for a few hours) but I think the loyalty benefits in terms of losing my current free physical black card (which I believe technically is in fact a free blue but was issued as a black and on which I have built up a £25,000 monthly use limit) and only getting 3 years of free Metal for £5,000 of investment was not a good enough offer (if it had been 10 years of Metal for £5,000 I would probably have gone with it, even though the company might well have been swallowed up or gone belly up much earlier than that).

Also in my current situation a £1,000 investment in shares is not really significant enough to be worth bothering with but I didn’t feel comfortable enough about the company’s prospects to feel like risking £5,000 or £25,000 Above all I feel their inability to pill in Amex is a massive show stopper to the success of the basic proposition they are offering (more so in other parts of the world where Amex is accepted directly far less than in the UK by retailers) as without their inclusion they are going to miss a lot of high worth transactions on which they ought to be capturing the most useful and valuable of data to resell elsewhere.

I was using Curve quite a lot when I was responsible for paying a gardener and cleaner in cash at my late mother’s house for a while and to settle various one off estate bills of some size with people who only took Visa or Mastercard debit (clocking up some Lloyds flight upgrade vouchers in the process) but now I am not using any appreciable amounts of cash or settling those kinds of debit card only bills (noting that my Curve limit and my Lloyds Avios card limits weren’t high enough and that the inheritance tax part of HMRC also didn’t accept payments by debit card so I couldn’t settle an inheritance tax bill of a little over £500,000 this way) and with the loss of the Lloyds Avios flight upgrade voucher (so turning Visa and Mastercard debit transactions in to Mastercard credit card transactions now has no benefits, although as far as I know Barclays is still paying me 0.5% on my cashback Visa card if I do that, although I will have to check the annual cashback statement to make sure that is true and they haven’t disbarred these transactions from earning cashback) its significance is less important to me.

But I can’t see a real use for Curve outside the realms of us techno geeks who hugely like odd and obscure ways of transacting things just to prove how clever we are so I can’t see it becoming a mass market product that everyone will tend to use like Amazon or Google.

So that in a nutshell is why I very much doubt that they will be the next big techno company hit.

I also thought the current valuation of the company (well over £100 million) and the price we were therefore paying for each share was ludicrously high at its current stage of development and so gave little likelihood of further substantial growth before the probably eventual sale of the company (if it doesn’t go belly up before that) to Paypal, Amazon, Google or whoever else…

1 Like

Well, sounds like you’re in a very lucky place financially. You’re more than welcome to make any decision you wish, it’s your money.

I disagree that there’s a market outside of people trying to trick systems. I do think that Curve actually has some significant benefits for ‘normal’ people, and I see them being the bulk of their marketplace.

Even for a simple situation where someone has a personal account and a joint account, Curve can simplify things and offer a variety of useful stuff on top even though you’d be making use of very little of their offering.

1 Like

Wow, you think big! Instead of putting yourself through all that stressful thinking, why didn’t you just take a punt with a few quid, like I did and not have all those concerns & worries?

1 Like

Answer is easy. In that my mother died a while ago and I inherited quite a bit so to me a £500 investment or similar didn’t look worth all the ongoing overhead that usually occurs on share ownership with subsequent corporate actions of one sort or another.

But a larger investment that I could have afforded if I had sufficient confidence in Curve unfortunately didn’t attain that level of confidence based on significant mistakes they have made (especially with Amex and the planned linked launch of Metal) so far.

I’m a numbers and stats and detail man and not a broad brush big picture marketing man so I can’t but help weigh everything up in great detail when I do something in. Having said that government sell offs of BT and the water companies etc looked like sure fire one way only bets so I didn’t feel any of the same qualms about taking the plunge on those occasions.

To me Curve likes to think it is another potential Amazon, Google or Ebay but for various fairly self evident reasons it probably won’t turn out that way. Also current valuation of the company is in my view absurdly high (which under current accounting rules you can achieve with the right choice of accountants if you are more reckless in your approach towards matters such as the value of Goodwill etc) for where it currently has reached and that to me was the most decisive factor of all in not buying the shares.

Also Crowdcube made it look like the thing was open for another 29 days to apply from the info on their website (normal thing is to run the offer for as long as stated and then scale back applications if it is massively over subscribed) but then it just closed after a few hours having suddenly offered £6 million instead of £1 million of its capital to customers. All of that to me looked botched and mishandled and so further sapped my confidence in investing. I also suspect only offering £1 million initially to customers and then increasing this in no time to £6 million was a deliberate tactic to scare people who were in two minds about the shares in to going ahead by creating a false impression of scarcity and high demand re the shares…

Cheers.

Do you know if Crowdcube take payment from the card that I used when initially investing? (as you said nothing has been taken yet) or will they take payment from the card that i have currently saved in my Profile payments section?

It will take days for the payment. Usually you will receive email to confirm your investment, then after some time you will get notification about the payment within 24-72 hrs. They should charge the card saved in your account .