What do you mean by 'supported currencies'? HELP!

Hi All

I’m going to Malaysia next month where the local currency is Ringgits. I’m confused by how this all works. Will I still get interbank exchange rates & do I need to change the “underlying currency” or just spend as usual?

For info I have a Metal card.

Mastercard rate from MYR to GBP.

Thanks @dmostak
So I don’t change anything on my card, just leave it at GBP?

@Curve_Marie Can you or someone else from Curve comment?

I don’t want to get stuck with a load of fees & this is very unclear on the website. Different users seem to imply different answers :flushed:

Don’t change anything.

If you want to take advantage of the low FX fees that curve provides always make sure you’re charged in whatever the native currency is of the country. That way Curve handles the exchange to GBP. This includes even in shops and restaurants where they try to “help” and charge you in GBP on the card terminal, insist it’s in the native currency, not GBP.

The only reason you’d change your card’s currency is if you have added a card that has a different currency.

E.G you are a dual national who has bank accounts in both UK and Malaysia and have added both cards to Curve and you wanted to use it when over there, you would change your currency to MYR to make sure you’re not erroneously charged exchange rates on your underlying card.

There are edge cases with 0% fee cards and travel cards too, but generally it’s a feature you’d never use if you’re just a normal traveller.

I’ve travelled to Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, Geneva, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Armenia and the US using Curve. I’ve never changed my currency from GBP and it just works.

MYR is not a supported currency though, so you wouldn’t be able to add a Malaysian bank card to Curve.

No you wouldn’t, but the point I was making still stands, they don’t need to worry about changing the currency.

Thank you. That’s really cleared things up for me & put my mind at rest

1 Like