We've launched Apple Pay!

This is not necessarily in error, retailers are not obligated to accept transactions over £30 when you are using Apple/Google/Samsung Pay, they can choose to do so if they want but they may have a good reason not to.

You have misunderstood how this works.

1. Physical contactless cards are subject to a £30 limit because there is no two-factor authentication (e.g. PIN or fingerprint). Otherwise a lost card could be used for transactions of unlimited amounts.
  2. Apple Pay and Google Pay are authenticated with a fingerprint (or PIN) and are therefore more secure than chip & PIN, which is authenticated only with a PIN. For this reason, Apple Pay has no transaction limit.
  3. Retailers are not obliged to accept Apple Pay or Google Pay at all; many do not.
  4. Merchants with up-to-date software in their card terminals generally do not apply a transaction limit to tokenised contactless payments, e.g. Apple Pay, because there is no need for them to do so.
  5. If a generic card terminal applies a £30 transaction limit to tokenised contactless payments, then it almost certainly has old software that cannot tell the difference between a physical contactless card and a tokenised contactless payment.
1 Like

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. Banks and merchants can put restrictions on transactions made with Google Pay/Apple Pay.
Most banks choose not to and let you spend within the limits of your underlying card but they are not obligated to do so.

There is even a support article on Apple’s website on the subject and I quote "In some countries and regions, if your transaction exceeds a certain amount when paying in stores with Apple Pay, you might need to enter your PIN. In some cases, you might need to sign a receipt or use a different payment method.

Merchants and card issuers set limits for some transactions. Here are the transaction limits for contactless payments in stores, including Apple Pay:"

About limits when using Apple Pay in stores

You’re right that it can be due to old software but it’s not always the case and some merchants refuse to accept Apple Pay payments over a particular limit because of the risk of fraud and they are perfectly entitled to do so

I’m not wrong, but I could have phrased it more accurately. Therefore I’ve edited my post.

A more accurate phrasing would be that Apple doesn’t impose a limit on payments with Apple Pay but banks and merchant can if they choose to do so.

Merchants don’t know what payment method you are using, when paying contactless. If you can’t pay over the limit that is for physical cards, the merchants machines are configured wrong.

There is no bank or merchant, who could set some limits on payments separately to Apple Pay or Google Pay.

Possibly, but that’s what “Apple Pay has no transaction limit” means, given that only Apple could impose transaction limits on Apple Pay. Any transaction limit imposed by a merchant is not a limit imposed specifically on Apple Pay.

The only limit is, if the the merchants payment machine is old and not updated. It has nothing to do with the merchant or the bank or Apple Pay or Google Pay. Merchants or banks can’t setup some special differnet amount limits to the payment machines.

It’s the provider of the payment machine who does the job.The only thing the merchant can do, is to ask the provider of the payment machines to update the software.The bank has nothing to with this.

There is only one limit that can be used, the same limit as for physical cards. If this limit is set in the payment machine, then it’s also the limit for all contactless payments.

The other option is, there is no limits at all on the merchants machine. In this case only physical cards has the normal limit, but contactless payments made with other methods like Apple Pay or Google Pay, does not have a limit.

This is your app being corrupted or out of date i had the same issue, delete the app, re-install and sign-in then youll get the trigger for apple pay and your ticket submission and personal details page will also start working again.

Another strong reason for using Apple Pay, rather than chip & PIN, is that Apple Pay avoids any need to touch a grubby PIN pad that is covered in hundreds or thousands of other users’ germs. It is very likely that the coronavirus has spread in some cases via PIN pads.

Merchants that impose a transaction limit (e.g. £30) on fingerprint-authenticated transactions (e.g. Apple Pay), which they do not equally impose on PIN-authenticated transcations, are unnecessarily and avoidably contributing to the spreading of germs. They should update their software to handle tokenised contactless payments correctly.

tbh that limit is not added by the merchant. The limit might come from the payment terminal and it’s parameters. It’s the issuers and the terminal providers job to fix these.

Although if these limits are in use with mobile payments than the software on the payment terminal is hot garbage as these payments are not “norman” contactless payments in the eyes of the terminal. Every tokenized mobile payment is recognized by the payment terminal and should skip these limits.
I guess in the UK the software on the terminal doesn’t adhere to the specs of the cless-emv then if it imposes these limits also to mobile payments.

The limit is indeed imposed by the merchant, albeit unintentionally, if the merchant neglects to update its card terminals’ software to the latest specifications.

Well first the software needs to be fixed by the provider, there is nothing the merchant can do if the software is not done correctly.

It’s a shame that there are few countries specifically that are in the “stone age” when it comes to payment terminals and their software. Seen this so many times especially in UK, US and few other European countries.

There is very much something that the merchant can do. The merchant can ask the terminal provider for a software update. Previously I couldn’t use Apple Pay at my barber, but they fixed it by getting a software update. All merchants should be doing the same, particularly given the current health risks of using chip & PIN or cash.

Well done to Curve for implementing Apple Pay before Coronavirus started spreading. It’s a shame that many merchants are still dragging their heels to request software updates.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that Curve has recently added a duplicate logo (as well as its name) to the top left of the card in Apple Pay. This makes the card appear obviously as Curve in Apple Wallet, whereas previously it appeared just as a blank card. This is an improvement. Good to see that those running Apple Pay at Curve are on the ball with such details.

2 Likes

If I have upgraded to metal with a different card colour, should my Curve card automatically update its colour in Apple Pay? Or do I need to remove the card from Apple Wallet and re-add it to update the colour?

You’ll have a new Curve card which will have different details to the old one, so you’ll need to change Apple Pay to the new card anyway.

An Apple Pay card has a different card number and expiry date from the physical card anyway, so why would there be any need to reissue the Apple Pay card after the physical card has changed?

With other card issuers, e.g. American Express, any change or replacement of the physical card has no bearing on the card number or expiry date of the Apple Pay card, which both continue uninterrupted.

1 Like