Virtual cards for Google Pay / Apple Pay with separate source cards

I prefer to pay with my mobile device, however my corporate credit card does not have option to add it to Apple Pay. It would be great, if we could have additional Curve Virtual cards that can have separate source cards set as default. E.g. I could have a virtual card added to my Apple Pay, which has the corporate credit card as a default source card, while my “standard” Curve can have my personal credit card.
It would be also a good idea to by-pass limiations of certain providers not being present in particular mobile wallets (e.g. Barclaycard is not available for Google Pay; RBS does not support Samsung Pay).

IMHO, Virtual Cards are most suited as an anti-fraud measure for online shopping or online services, i.e. set transaction limits, short expiry date, etc. To manage personal vs business purchases with Curve, I set my Curve card as the default contactless payment card in Google Pay then before making a purchase, use the Curve app to swap to the most appropriate card. To help with managing expenses, set the Curve app to send email receipts for your business cards.

For cards that do not support a mobile wallet, I simply add them to Curve. I’ve never encountered a problem doing this, so far, with Google Pay.

It’s already a Work In Progress :slight_smile:

Curve Product Update January 2020

What I meant here was to have a virtual card to have permanently assigned against different underlying card. Of course I can swap it in the app - but that’s the whole point of the idea - that e.g. my Apple Pay on my work phone will have a virtual card provisioned with the source card being my corporate credit card.

Yes, I can understand how that would be useful.

Another idea (made some time ago) is “smart allocation” based on merchant rules, so that payments are charged to the most appropriate card, e.g. shopping at Tesco to the Tesco card (Clubcard points), air tickets to the BA Avios card (Avios points), purchases from Staples to the business card, etc. Merchant rules work well for retailers used frequently, but your idea of a ‘virtual card’ would work for occasional or infrequently used retailers.

1 Like