Understanding how underlying cards work - Halifax

If there’s a rule or limit on the curve card, but none on the underlying card, which takes precidence?

The reason I ask, is that I can withdraw unlimited amounts in an ATM on my Halifax credit card, but not on the Curve.

Also on my Halifax card I have unlimited ATM with 0% transaction fees, but the Curve has a £200/500 limit I think.

Thanks for your help.

If you’re using your Curve card, then Curve limits apply.

The underlying card’s limits may or may not apply, depending on how the card issuer interprets the data provided by Curve.

Thank you!

It seems that my original card is much more useful than the curve then.

Out of interest, why would you withdraw cash on your credit card?

I’d heard that’s frowned upon by credit agencies.

The insurance + rate

1. It’s a good travel card.
  2. I don’t have to carry or check the balance on my debit account.

I’ve never had a problem with my Halifax one. They have free withdrawals so it mustn’t be a problem for them.

I see. But don’t you pay interest immediately on cash withdrawals?

Only abroad and it’s 17% divided by 365 and then X how many days it takes me to pay it back.

So it works out much less.

£100 abroad for example would cost me 32 pence per day. So I just go and pay it back off from my other account.

I’ve not found a better way.

Except that on the Halifax card you’re paying the Visa/MasterCard exchange rate, which whilst better than forex companies is typically more than the interbank rate that Curve use on weekdays.

That’s a good point!

From a test I just did in Brazilan Real to GBP £100, I’d get charged £0.5322 extra on the Halifax Mastercard than Curve.

However, over £200, I’d get charged £2 for every £100 on the Curve + the Halifax interest.

So it does get a bit complicated, and for me at the moment this 2% is a big negative as going on Holiday I’d spend more than £200 and the Halifax would overall be cheaper.

That’s for ATM…considering a lot of things in foreign countries still need cash.