The future of cash.....?

1 Like

I find taking out cash when paying for groceries to be a simpler approach than locating an ATM :slight_smile:

If our work canteen would start taking cards then I almost wouldn’t need cash anymore!

Apart from the offertory in church and the occasional flea market (during our famous Kingsday!) I have already arrived at this point.

Is there still a need for cashcards like Maestro in the Netherlands, or can you usually stay with a debit card?

It will be very interesting to see how quickly different markets moves into being cashless. Would imagine paying to get cash from an ATM will drive a change in customer behaviour.

1 Like

Unfortunately acceptance of Visa/MasterCard(/AmEx/Diners Club) is still very limited in stores in the Netherlands. This is the case for both creditcards and debitcards (!) of these brands. Merchants treat Visa/MasterCard debitcards the same as creditcards. For example the biggest grocery store in the Netherlands still does not accept Visa/MasterCard.
Apart from online payments the place where I use my MasterCard offline the most often in the Netherlands is the gas station. In most restaurants you can rely on a creditcard too.

So if you want to live cashless in the Netherlands bring your Maestro or V PAY card. Getting cash from an ATM is still free in the Netherlands and I think that will remain as is for a while.

1 Like

I hate cash. I avoid it as much as I reasonably can!

For me, I hardly carry cash. Everything by card, even if it’s a quid or so! Even Poundshop (yes Poundshop) … I’ve bought something for a quid before and paid with Curve!

However I’ve been caught out a couple of times with smaller shops and not having enough cash on me because they are cash only!

I realised I’d been carrying a pocket full of cash just in case - and found I hadn’t touched it. I still carry a wallet with a few quid in it but, increasingly, don’t even think about using it.

Apart from those very few small shops, merchants seem to expect customers to pull out a card - no longer is there embarrassment in that. Very much used to be…

Interesting though, to hear from @poeliev that this isn’t the norm elsewhere.

1 Like

It (paying by card) is the norm over here (in the Netherlands) too, but just by a different card (Maestro or V PAY) than the one that is the norm overseas (MasterCard or Visa) :blush:.
I have a 20 euro note in my phone case (just in case) that I haven’t touched in months.

2 Likes

Not accepting cash is a sure fire way of making sure I’ll never become a repeat customer!

Not accepting American Express is a pretty good way of making sure I avoid your business…unless you have a seriously good product!

Currently my it use for cash is when merchants give me a refund and I deposit it immediately at the nearest ATM.

For some reason here in Portugal even if you pay by card, merchants will always give refunds in cash

A couple of months ago I visited Stockholm. The Swedes (at least in their capital city) have reached the point where most shops & restaurants refuse to take cash and you HAVE to pay by card. Equally, Japan still loves cash but you can pay with their equivalent of the TfL Oystercard for low value shop and vending machine purchases. I suggest that what the UK does will change but relatively slowly, and probably in a uniquely British manner!

Wow - didn’t know that :open_mouth:.

I wonder if the cost of processing cards in Sweden is less for merchants, or perhaps less costly than handling cash? :thinking:

Our local independent stationery and art materials shop takes Amex. Indeed, advertises the fact on their till. When I expressed surprise given the reputation of Amex costing retailers a bigger cut than any other card, the owner informed me that he processes Amex payments through his bank and it costs him no more than any other credit card…
So if the cost of processing cards is difficult to determine in the UK, goodness knows what it is like overseas…!
In Sweden it is certainly worth using a card that doesn’t hammer foreign transactions with a minimum fee that hits all transactions regardless of the size of the spend (as well as the exchange rate on top).
I took a good few Swedish Kroner with me and fortunately the hotel we were staying in allowed me to use them up at check out to pay for our accommodation, otherwise I would have had to bring them back with me.

1 Like

In the Netherlands you are beginning to see the trend that in ‘stores’ having a high risk of being robbed (e.g. because they are opened untill late) only payment by card is accepted. Best example is the pizza delivery ‘restaurant’, where you also can go for takeaway, but not for eat in. But that they are cashless is clearly shown on the window.
There is even one pizza delivery chain in
the Rotterdam area where you can not pay the delivery guy/girl with cash when they deliver the pizza at your door. You either pay when you order online or you pay with a card at your door (the deliverer brings a mobile payment device).

It is the same in Denmark. I don’t use cash since years ago (2013?), only when I am going out of the country. Actually to be honest, I only remember a few of the notes we have in Denmark, I mean, I remember the colors, but I have serious difficulties to remember the persons they are on them except with the basic 100 danish kroner which is around 13 euros. (And yes, I am not a dane but still, I’ve been living here for 12 years)
And the fact is that the danish government is encouraging hardly this cashless way strategy because it is a good way to avoid fiscal fraud and underground economy. I personally found it extremely convenient and practical.

So is the pace of movement towards cashless a Scandinavian initiative, one wonders…?

And just to show the UK is happy to buck the trend…:smirk:

1 Like

I think we’re sleep walking into issue for those who do not have a bank account and rely on cash.

An example of where a card would not work to get my lunch.
Local bakery had a power cut, as did most of the area and as such they and cash machines had no means to process my card. ‘What can I get for £1.57’…
Cash is always under your control, cards are not, either through forces of nature or malicious means.

Never thought of it in those terms - but, yep :slightly_smiling_face: