Support for Cornèrcard Miles & More "prepaid" MasterCard issued on behalf of Affiniture (Diners Club UK)

After MBNA ceased its dual American Express and Visa cards for earning Miles & More (Lufthansa airmiles) in July 2018, Affiniture (which runs the UK franchise for Diners Club) started issuing dual Diners Club and MasterCard cards for earning Miles & More in October 2018. Because Affiniture (Diners Club) can’t directly issue MasterCards, the MasterCard is issued on Affiniture’s behalf by Cornèrcard UK. The MasterCard is officially a prepaid card, but is attached to the Affiniture charge card account (whose balance must be repaid in full every month).

Curve lists the prepaid cards that it supports as being “Osper, Monzo, N26, Revolut, Tide, Monese, Loot and Qonto”. So the Cornèrcard MasterCard cannot be added to Curve.

Affiniture explains the reason for the MasterCard being officially prepaid in its FAQ by saying:

My Mastercard says pre-paid on it, do I have to add funds before I can use it?

No. The card works in the same way as your Diners Club Charge Card with all charges and credits appearing on your monthly statement. The card is automatically “loaded” with cash from your account for every transaction you make. You don’t have to do anything, nor do you have to have a credit balance on your Mastercard.

Given that this MasterCard, with card numbers starting 5271 94, is not really a prepaid card, please could Curve add it to the list of supported prepaid card issuers?

The lists with prepaid cards, Curve supports, is outdated. Curve already supports other than the mentioned prepaid cards.

And:

1 Like

I would expect you’d get a lot of declines if you add this to Curve. Curve already has a higher decline rate than underlying cards, as instead of a payment request having to go Merchant->MasterCard->Your bank, it has to go Merchant->MasterCard->Curve->Visa/MasterCard->Your bank. The extra steps increase the chance of decline.

With the Miles & More card, it would become:
Merchant->MasterCard->Curve->MasterCard->CornerCard->Diners Club->Affiniture.

No reason not to have it available, but expect declines to be more common

1 Like

I’ve never had a decline with my Curve card because of a timeout with the underlying card.
I’ve never had an offline decline.
The only online declines I had was when I entered exp date incorrectly or when 3d secure was mandatory.

2 Likes

We review new BINs periodically to see which ones we can add next. Your BIN has been added to the list for the next review.

4 Likes

I have a pre paid card which I can’t add to curve. I’ve already tried to contact support about it but no reply for almost a month. What can I do to see it added? BIN is 433391

Despite being classified as a pre paid card, this card is only issued to people who have a current account with ActivoBank, think N26 or Revolut

1 Like

Fair enough. Maybe I’m unlucky. I have asked Curve about declines 3 times on two different cards. Every time Curve said the underlying card declined the payment. When I contacted the underlying card, they said they approved the payment (and it appeared as pending) but Curve never claimed the presentment. I don’t know who to believe, but given Curve are the common party here, I know who I would bet on.

I’ve had several other declines since, but I’ve stopped bothering to query them.

Even if it’s not a timeout issue, requiring 3 approvals vs 1 surely increases the chance of denial

Hi Curvy Marie. Any idea how long realistically we are looking at before the UK Miles and More card is supported?

For those of us who were mega-excited about Amex, and bitterly disapointed with how that’s turned out, being able to collect Miles and More points through Curve would really soften the blow, and in my case could push me in to getting metal.

1 Like

Another issue is that the Curve app doesn’t scan this non-embossed prepaid MasterCard with the iPhone’s camera. You can wait for 60 seconds for it to scan, and it fails to do so, despite it scanning other cards with no problem. The only way to find out whether Curve has started supporting this card is to enter the card details manually, which is very frustrating when one discovers each time that Curve has not yet done so.

With the plethora of different card products and payment methods currently out there in the market, it can be difficult to keep up sometimes! This is not a problem exclusive to Curve but is also a problem faced by some of the biggest names in the game.

Curve wants to be your all-in-one financial companion but we currently rely on a third party BIN database provider. If the BIN of your respective card has not been updated in our provider’s database by the card issuer, it cannot be added to Curve automatically. In an ideal world we would manage this process ourselves and one day hopefully we will.

At the moment, when a customer sends in a request for a currently unsupported card to be added to Curve, we add each new BIN number to an internal processing document. New BIN numbers are submitted to our database provider based on priority, which is determined by the number of requests - across our customer base - for this card to be added. We understand this process is not the most efficient and reflective of each customer’s individual needs and this is something that we are looking to improve.

This is very fair feedback and not something that we may not have considered before. One resolution for this could be a public notification/post of all the new cards that have been added or would you prefer a more personal touch and for us to message you directly letting you know that you can now add the card you requested?

3 Likes

@Curve_Ivo, I think that if one is waiting for a specific card to be added, then it would be useful to receive a notification specifically for the card in question. Perhaps a tidy way to achieve this would be to be able to add unsupported cards to the Curve app (with a greyed-out unsupported status) and then to receive a notification as soon as it becomes supported. This functionality would have the added benefit of helping Curve to more accurately determine the demand for support for a particular card.

3 Likes

Sounds like an excellent suggestion! Would a dual approach we useful? ie plan to implement this system in-app but as a temporary workaround add BINs added to a list online??

I wonder if you could shed some light on why this is necessary? I’ve had cards declined before because the merchant’s BIN table wasn’t up to date, which seems weird. Surely the whole point of having networks like MasterCard/visa is that they take care of routing the payment requests to the correct bank, and the acquirer should only need to know how to send a number to visa/MasterCard. If every acquirer needs an up-to-date list of BINs, then what is the point of the network?

1 Like

I ran this question by our Head of Finance & there is a degree of complexity to how it works but I will try my best to condense it!

Mastercard & Visa’s role is to provide the technology and the network that power transactions. They do not issue any credit/debit cards directly but instead licence their payment brand to banks and payment acquiring service providers.

Each merchant has an acquiring service provider; essentially a financial institution that allows them to accept cards, process electronic payments and access the Mastercard/Visa network. An example of this would be WorldPay or GPS (you may have seen this name on a card machine when paying in store).

When you place your card in the reader/tap for contactless, your card information is sent to the merchant’s acquirer who then asks Mastercard/VISA to get an authorisation from your bank. If the authorisation is approved, the information is pinged to merchant and the payment goes through.

It is the responsibility of the merchant’s acquirer to maintain an up to date list of all active BIN numbers. In most cases the acquirer will use another 3rd party service to pool and collect all new or updated BIN numbers to add to the list of existing BIN numbers of their platform. If the BIN hasn’t be collected or added to the 3rd party list, your card cannot be accepted by the merchant.

The confusing part is when a bank issues a new card programme (with a new BIN number), the BIN is certified by either Mastercard or Visa…

There a lot of different hoops that a transaction needs to jump through to be successful! This is explained on the Mastercard website and come with a handy diagram showing the payment flow: https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/merchants/start-accepting/payment-process.html.

I apologise for the industry jargon but there aren’t too many synonyms for these terms and I hope this gives you a little more insight into how things work.

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer. I guess the part I don’t understand is this:

As you said, the acquirer only talks to your bank via Visa/MasterCard, so I don’t get why your acquirer needs to know anything about your bank or what BIN numbers they have. Given that the transactions are being passed via Visa/MasterCard anyway, surely the card network could validate the BIN and forward the request to the correct bank. The acquirer shouldn’t need to know any more than how to send a card number to Visa/MasterCard.

I get that this is the system that acquirers have to work with, I just don’t understand why the system was designed that way. It seems like a poorly thought out design, which makes me think that I must be missing something…

1 Like

The BIN number of your card dictates whether the card is Mastercard or Visa. The card information (BIN only) is used by the acquirer to route the transaction through the correct payment scheme, to your underlying bank account.

I agree that the acceptance or non-acceptance of certain BIN numbers (despite being Visa and Mastercard branded cards) shouldn’t be of a concern to the customer and fortunately user’s of most major banks will never come across this type of decline.

The acquirer also will arrange the card transaction’s settlement and will typically credit the merchant’s nominated bank account with the funds. This is explained in Step 6 on the Mastercard diagram in the link I sent in my earlier reply.

This is status quo of how payment processing works in the UK & Europe. Things are steadily improving and I’m sure that the rise of FinTech will only help accelerate a clearer and simpler way to make transactions in the future!

3 Likes

Not really. Portuguese cards are all dual scheme with Multibanco and either Visa or MC. Multibanco shares the same card number, including BIN as the MC or Visa side of the card

2 Likes

In this case I was referring to question raised by @podgib and was talking about this how things are in the UK (Amex aside of course), as this is my point of reference.

I wasn’t aware of this being the case in Portugal/with Portuguese cards, so thank you for letting me know. It’s true that we can learn something new every day!

2 Likes

My point was simply that in some situations BINs as well as entire card numbers can be shared between card schemes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply @Curve_Ivo. Very interesting :slight_smile: