Stop reporting Curve Transactions on funding card statements as being generated in “London”

I think Curve is great, but a minor irritant for me which is hopefully easy for the Tech Team to fix …

Currently, all transactions are passed thru to your Funding Card statement as being from London, e.g., a transaction made in Sainsbury’s in Belfast is reported on my Funding Card statement as

CRV* SAINSBURYS LONDON

This is confusing when looking at your statement!

It would be great if you could report the transaction as being from it’s place of origin, or if this is not allowed, replace London with a . , e.g.,

CRV* SAINSBURYS .

Thanks!

Tony

Isn’t that to do with the retailer rather than curve? Looking at Sainsbury’s transactions on my debit card, these are also listed as London?

No - it’s to do with how Curve processes the transactions.

If I make a transaction using my Funding Card directly (without Curve), the Transaction is reported on the Funding Card statement as

SAINSBURYS BELFAST

whereas using the Curve Card at the same location, the underlying Funding Card statement lists the transaction as:

CRV* SAINBURYS LONDON

I know it’s ultimately because Curve Transactions are processed through Curve Servers in London; however, it is VERY confusing! SuperCard got round the same problem by reporting the transaction location as . (i.e., a full stop) - it would be great if Curve did the same.

Indeed, it gets more confusing as sometimes both locations end up in it. I.e. Apple Store Calgary London.

Hehe yeah - I had this one recently

CRV*AVOCA BELFAST LONDON GB

So confusing to read, as well as misleading in official statements …

I cannot be completely sure here, but simply because of the way Curve processes transactions now the “London” mention is unavoidable. When Curve acts like a merchant (and that is when it charges your underlying card), it must have a specified location, and that is London because that’s where’s Curve headquarters.

Agree although would be good if they showed more detail - eg Monzo app gives a map of where the spend occurred, so can always look it up if unsure.

PayPal is able to pass through the actual merchant location most times, so it can definitely be done…

Yeah - the location field for transactions can be set to anything, it doesn’t have to be tied to a location. For example, some retailers put a phone number in that field, some put a web address.

SuperCard (an early, but now defunct rival to Curve) addressed this issue by using a Full Stop in the location field …

Related to this - at least one of my credit cards (in USD) is using the ‘London’ location to charge me international transaction fees (despite Curve correctly charging in USD). I’ve let Curve know about this. Not sure how many people this impacts…

Yeah, I had the same issue as well. U.S. card, Curve charges in USD, but U.S. card still sees it as international charge. I guess U.S. bank define international transactions not just based on currency but also on location of the merchant :smiley:
Kinda funny business U.S. banks do there :wink:

Curve is the only merchant I know that actually puts there merchant location in the merchant name.
Usually you can chose your own merchant name when signing up with a payment processor, thats how it worked with my shop. It doesnt need to have the city included in the merchant name. Not sure why Curve chose to have CRV London as their merchant name instead of just CRV

Agree - I wondered if it was just an extension of the branding (see “Curve / Crafted in London” on the back of the card) - if so they could hopefully change it!