Show In-Store purchase as offline transaction on underlying card overview

As can be read over here I am missing out on cashback/reward points, because In-Store purchases done with Curve card are showing up as online transactions on my underlying card overview. It can also be the case that the underlying card has a lower online spending limit than the offline spending limit.

That is why it would be nice if In-Store purchases done with Curve card would show up as offline transactions on the underlying card overview.

Curve's Product Roadmap
Curve revenue count as Internet revenue?

That is not really possible AFAIK. Remember, Curve is not processing your transactions in person - they are not using your card chip to authenticate the transaction so it thus has to be classed as online/Card Not Present.

Valid point, @erasmuswill! It may be the case indeed that Curve is not allowed (‘by law’) to send an In-Store purchase as offline transaction to the underlying card, since Curve is not using the card chip of the underlying card to validate the transaction.

@Curve_Marie Is it possible for you to check if it is even allowed for Curve to send an offline transaction to an underlying card, since Curve has the underlying card not in possesion during the transaction.

It’s not really about the law (IANAL) - it’s more about what the underlying card company sees. If the underlying card is used at a physical store it follows a different method of authentication than if it’s used at an online store. I don’t think anybody has ever tried to change this up because I can’t think of any other situation where you’d need to have an “online”(CNP) transaction showing as an offline(EMV) transaction. It’s all in the hands of the underlying card’s issuing bank I guess, and if it’s about rewards, it’s not in their favour to allow it.

AFAIK, the transaction is not sent to the processor as offline or online - it’s about the different data that’s provided. Curve would be able to send your card number, expiry date, CVV and address info while a physical merchant would not really have to ask you for address info or your CVV but your card chip would provide something similar to a OTP to authenticate you (perhaps after entering a PIN).

PayPal is able to do it when you use their debit card available in the US with an underlying card as a funding source, so curve should also be able to implement it. And remember, they already pass MCC information despite curve itself not conducting business in the MCC categories that are shown to the underlying card

That is very interesting. I was not aware of it. I wonder if that is just metadata from the MCC then.

Would be great if Curve would work in the same way!

I’m afraid it’s an US vs Europe thing. Transactions in the US are still often processed using magnetic strip and signature, so information provided by PayPal can be the same as the information on the strip. In Europe, in–store transactions use EMV chip, thus the information provided is different (more sophisticated). Curve doesn’t have access to such data and it can only process card–not–present payments (acts like an online merchant).

I’m not sure your explanation makes sense. How does the different info from paying with magnetic stripe (which since last year isn’t allowed) supposedly affect the info curve can send to the underlying card? Both magnetic stripe or EMV transactions are card present transactions

I tried to say that it’s easier for PayPal to spoof in-store purchases, because US card issuers generally require less information and are more relaxed about accepting any sort of payment than banks in Europe.

In Europe I guess it depends from country to country. In the US they may close even current accounts pretty much at their discretion, they may have someone from the bank looking into your account and transactions, they may ask you to prove the source of funds for a transaction if they think it’s “suspicious”, and they may even restrict what kind of transactions you can make, like restricting crypto currency and stuff like that. It doesn’t seem relaxed at all!

I meant “relaxed” as in Visa/Mastercard regulations, not governmental regulations. That’s a completely different story.