Sell adverts in app

Wow, that convinced them very quickly :wink:.

1 Like

On that basis, how about a big fat NO ?

1 Like

I’m kinda 50/50 about it as Curve needs to be solvent so they can’t come cap in hand to (personal) investors* as let’s face it they can only do that every so often.

*If they want to run after venture capitalists money then that’s on them. More power to them I say.

I would guess it all depends how the adverts are displayed, tasteful adverts in the bottom of the screen is I guess the best of a bad situation. However adverts are increasingly used as an attack vector to download Malware on phones and computers so I’m unsure.

1 Like

100% no ads.

Hate them with a passion.

1 Like

That’s a terrible idea. If I give a company money they definitely should not be showing me adverts. Bad enough with TV, Amazon, Netflix, etc.

2 Likes

You’re talking about two very different things then combining them to make one.

I for example pay for a paid TV service (Sky/Virgin) now on the channels they produce for example Sky One they have ads. (So because I paid I shouldn’t have adverts?) If only…Them selling ads on their platform means that the price increases when they do happen is not as severe or and that 2nd they can use the extra money to put back into programs meaning better quality programs for everybody to enjoy. That’s one way that having ads benefit everybody that uses the service. The users like the programs which mean customer churn reduces and more people join. That pleases the shareholders and means the annual report for the year is looking nice, which means more people buy shares which increase the share price.

Now your a investor in Curve that’s absolutely fantastic but here is the rub, first of all like above nobody has forced you be because a investor in Curve you did it presumably because you had the money and you read the prospectus. (You did read it right?) Then made your decision accordingly. Which entitles you to a small share of the profits if the company is successful. One again that’s fantastic. Does it mean that the people running the company shouldn’t do the best for the company as a whole? Nope.

1 Like

Having trouble following your logic, but at the end of the day it comes down to opinion. I’m a consumer who pays to have adverts removed wherever I can or use tools to block them. I am a Curve investor and a paid metal subscriber. If they want to show ads to the people on the free tier, fine. If they started shoving ads down my throat as a paid subscriber I would be very annoyed. Same as if they were sending spam emails with no option to unsubscribe. There are ways to make money without being intrusive.

1 Like

What part of it are you having trouble with maybe I can help?

I started with why adverts on tv are not a bad thing necessarily then I moved over to Curve and why adverts on the app might not be be a bad thing. All sorted. :+1:

I’ll leave you with this. Do you pay for a TV license then? Even the BBC has adverts for it’s own programs…

Some people pay amex £100s a year, they still show ads but many still use it. I think as long as Curve remain useful, people will tolerate it. Just like Amex, TV, Amazon, Netflix, most things. People usually only stop using a service because it charges too much, or some alternative reasons (political, religious etc. there are many), but not because they sell ads. If ads can make curve more profitable and in some extent less pressure to raise prices, I don’t mind seeing ads. But of course obviously they need to make sure no one can hack the app through the ads.

1 Like

However most of the things Amex shows (certainly that I see on Android) are their own internal links to partner offers. That’s quite different to just showing ads as most apps do (which often come via the likes of Google).

2 Likes

Yes, what you are saying is very true, but I think it has more do to the size difference of companies (amex has travel, insurance etc.). Certainly, majority of the ads in the amex app are linked to their internal sites or partner offers, but they also do have links to third party sites and it shows ads are a proven concept in a card app, which many has said it’s not possible. Through the example of the ads in Amex, we can see there is at least one way to do it, by showing internal ads and vetted partnerships, something that Curve can also consider?
About the Google affiliated ads, I am not too sure how it can be implemented, and yes, the amex styled ads are a very different model.

as long as the ad is not too invasive, maybe just 1 small ad per session

after all it will help Curve financially

1 Like

I have about 250 apps on my phone. Very very few have ads. If they do, I uninstall them.

I never install apps with ads if I can help it.

The small revenue Curve could generate from ads would probably be offset by the customers uninstalling the app.

I’m an investor. No ads.

2 Likes

Sounds like a willy waving competition. I’m an investor so that means I have more say. Nope nope nope.

Let me tell ya a huge secret. Even if we all pulled all our shareholdings together into one and went to the AGM do you think we would have much of a say? Nope as the VC and the owner of the company have a lot more shares then we do. Sooooooo. Let’s stop the crapola yeah?

Please note to the above poster it’s not meant personally but I’ve seen this quite a few times and it’s like :roll_eyes:. So I’m sorry it was your post I responded to but it’s meant generally.

2 Likes

I’m an investor, I want ads for free cash back on spending at specified retailers, free lounge access based on spend level in specific categories, free premium membership giveaways and other perks that are absolutely free without any strings attached. :smile:

2 Likes

Sounds good to me lol :+1::grin:

Great we all have different opinions. You want pop ups and ads for a few quid saving. Great.

You do. I don’t.

Democracy.

Who are you referring to?

I’m referring to nobody.

I don’t want ads. Others do.

That’s what forums are for. Discussion.