Refunds: what we used to do, and how we’ve fixed it

Refunds: what we used to do, and how we’ve fixed it

Let’s talk about refunds. It’s one area of our product that hasn’t been great. Refunds didn’t display very well in your wallet view. Sometimes you could see them as REFUNDED, but you couldn’t see the amount. Sometimes you didn’t see any of a refund in your wallet view at all. And some refunds took a very long time to get to you. But all that has just changed, with our latest app release.

When a merchant sends a refund to your Curve Card, we try to match it with your original transaction so that we know which card to push it to.

Sometimes it’s easy - we can match the transaction amount, merchant, date, or something else about the refund and original transaction, allowing us to push the refund to you right away. But sometimes it’s more difficult - we can’t find a clear match to your original transaction, so we don’t know onto which card to send the refund.

Until now, one of our Customer Experience agents had to get in touch with you to ask which card you’d like the refund to be received on. This was a long process and caused a lot of frustration for you, the customers.

We’ve improved our matching technology so that we can get refunds to you faster without anyone intervening. In fact, our matching technology is now 3 times better. This means the majority of refunds will go straight back into your underlying funding card immediately.

But, it’s not always possible to match a refund to an existing transaction. In these cases we still need to know onto which card to send the refund. We’ve improved that too! The power is now in your hands. When a refund comes in and we’re unable to match it, we’ll push you a notification allowing you to choose which card you receive it on.

We didn’t stop there. We’ve also made changes to the way we display refunds in your wallet and timeline. To make sure you’re not worried about where your money is, you can now see the refund on the date that the refund is received, and you can see the amount that you’ve been refunded.

We know our waiting times for receiving refunds were way too long, which is why we prioritised this piece of work. Unfortunately, there’s also some time that we can’t control.

From when we send the refund back to you, depending on your bank, it could take anywhere from 1-5 days to appear on your statement. Keep this in mind when you get a refund - we’ll show the refund in your wallet view, but your bank might not put it into your account for 1-5 days.

23 Likes

Finally some good news :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

I get the wrong payment refunded to the wrong card again

Not the first time i get a refund to the wrong card

I just got a refund but I can’t see the original transaction in the timeline. Is this normal ?

There you go Curve :four_leaf_clover: , looking beautiful inside too. , and you’ve been refunded. :laughing: Thats very good actually. Good to know how things works.

Really neat development. :grinning:

Great news guys… Especially the push notification that is fired for unmatched refunds…

This sounds really nice, but I only see it referred to total refunds. What about partial refunds? These are the most problematic to me, as it is almost impossible to get the complete information (es I explained here with a real example).

Maybe you have improved them as well … but I don’t see it explained in your post.

EDIT: and I still believe that a filter in the “timeline” to show all and only the refunded transactions would be really useful to facilitate the tracking.

Thanks

This is great news! Well done to the team :slight_smile:

I do have one question - if you close the notification about a refund, is there any way to get back to it? I sometimes accidentally swipe away notifications, and the Curve app doesn’t have a notification list/inbox. I wouldn’t want to miss out on a refund because of this!

1 Like

This is also important for me - due to the way my phone works, I often can’t see notifications.

Gj Curve, thank you!

This is excellent news! Great job, keep it up. :muscle:

1 Like

I received a partial refunds, here’s how it looks now.

The only problem now is that the original transaction has disappeared from the timeline and the only way to know what the amount of the original purchase was is to click on the refund.

Only EUR involved, right? The problem with the partial refunds come mostly when they are in a different currency, and there is no way to match the original transaction and the refunded one.

I live in France so only euros involved.
In your case, I’m not sure if the problem is that they could not find the right/original transaction or is the ui design was just really poorly thought out.

Agreed, really hope this functionality doesn’t all just rely on a temporary notification.

Now 56 votes for having a proper inbox in the app for messages - Inbox in the app/the ability to access previous notifications

2 Likes

Interesting. Just recently (3/4) a merchant charged two times for one transaction (web site glitch), assured to refund next day, and I got the refund the day after that without any trouble. So things are working as promised. Good.

But: now the app display is somewhat weird. The second withdrawal is gone, the refund is listed instead as a positive value, and if one would do just add up the numbers it would turn out that I didn’t just get a refund but two of them. The sum spent for the month so far is correct though.

My suggestion: a refund shouldn’t make the withdrawal it is refunding disappear on the list. This is an account balance. Let’s do it right.

Great work Curve! Good to see one of the biggest gripes in this community has been resolved!

I have an issue with a refund and the ticket system does not seem to be working, who can I contact in relation to this?

If you’re having issues with the support email not working then I’d call the number on the back of your card.