Paysend Fraud

Just had someone unauthorised use my Curve card to send money via Paysend. They managed to take £595 before I could lock the card. I contacted Paysend within minutes and they were useless. Transcript attached.

It’s so frustrating because my Curve card is declined at least twice a day for transactions I DO authorise, but if someone gets the number/clones it somehow they’re all “here you go, take all the money”.

3 Likes

Have you gone to the police as they asked you to do? I’m curious as to what kind of details they would be able to release about the fraudster if they say they didn’t ask him any personal info. Probably not much

1 Like

You need to contact Curve, not Paysend. Curve is the party that guarantees you are not liable for unauthorized charges on your card and they will reverse the charge, cancel your card, and send you a new one.

1 Like

The police probably won’t be interested in petty card fraud during a pandemic, but I’ll drop them a line today. This happened late last night.

1 Like

Yeah, did that obviously, but Paysend had a live chat function so thought they would like to know someone was committing fraud on their platform at that very minute. They weren’t fused.

1 Like

I really don’t understand the thought process here. You wanted a fight, you went to Paysend and just expected them to believe you without any proof at all that you are the card holder.

Also, PaySend use 3DS so, how did the ‘fraudster’ get around that then eh?

1 Like

Sorry if this is hard to grasp

I got a push notification from Curve of fraudulent charges. I immediately locked the card and flagged the charges to Curve. Since the fraudster was online at that very minute potentially using other people’s cards to do the same thing I contacted Paysend’s 24 hour support. I wasn’t looking for a fight. I was looking to catch someone in the act of fraud. I was fully prepared to prove I am the card holder and help in any way I could. As you can see, their response was ‘nothing we can do.’

I use Curve as my primary card and have never come across a 3DS prompt, so I don’t know what criteria must be met for it to pop up. It obviously didn’t in this case.

2 Likes

That’s why we need virtual cards for Curve asap.

4 Likes

Virtual Cards are a better way to perform fraud transactions.
If someone get access to your mail he can easily log in to your account and get your card details.
Thats why curve should remove the feature to show card details in app.

1 Like

They should introduce two factor authentication (email+SMS) instead of that. In app card details is a pretty handy feature.

4 Likes

This is just another way to waste money.
one sms cost between 0.05€ - 0.30€ per sms/country.

The new investor card dont have card detail on them

Where will the card detail be?

Or singin with google if you prefer
Or set a extra password or pin you have to enter to login

1 Like

an additional pin/password which only the support can reset would be perfect. After you proof that you are the cardholder.

1 Like

Oh no :frowning_face: So sorry you’ve experienced this. Glad to hear you’ve contacted our support team!

1 Like

I don’t know how you can see that he was looking for a fight?!
Every (payment) company should be thankful if someone reports a fraud done by a “customer” of them.
Paysend will be the one who will have to pay back the money if that action is not covered by the MasterCard terms.

So if they provide a useless 24/7 service and support crime, @ehexplorer got a right to show it. You should report them to the FCA. In some countries it’s enough to check the network for money laundering.

2 Likes

Catching the fraudster is really not your problem so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it and certainly not waste time taking this up with the merchant and/or the police. The card issuer (Curve) assumes liability for unauthorized transactions so it’s their problem, let them deal with it.

The way online card payments work, they’re just not that secure and cards getting compromised from time to time is a calculated risk of the card issuers. They ran the numbers and figured out it’s cheaper to just reimburse customers for the odd unauthorized charge rather than investing more in prevention and security.

If you want more peace of mind, consider using disposable virtual cards, Revolut just made those available on free accounts.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. Curve responded within 12 hours and the charges have already been refunded.

11 Likes

I had the same, £300 taken by paysend. Curve got on it as soon as I told them about it. Strange that it seems curve cards got hit by paysend frauds. Hope your card gets sorted soon.

2 Likes

I’ve just woken up to one of these for €400. The issuer of my underlying card sent me a text message, asking me to confirm the transaction, so they seem to a stopped it.

2 Likes