Partial refunds

refunds

When a merchant charges our Curve card with lets say, 10$, and later processes a partial refund, lets say 5$ to the same original transaction, the transaction in the Curve app will say REFUNDED, even thou its only a partial refund.

Also refunds do not appear on the top of the timeline nor is there a push notification. Of course it shouldn’t stay at the top of the timeline, it should be under the original transaction, but there should be some sort of notification of a partial refund via push.

Matching Transactions on Pending Items

Yep it’s always been poorly implemented. Even for full refunds once you’ve swiped away the notification (which can happen if in a rush doing other things) you’re stuck unsure as to what transaction it happened to and how much for.

I’d argue there should be (a) a way of viewing recent notifications that the app has generated and (b) for refunds (either whole or partial) there should be an entry in the timeline for the date the refund was issued, with the transaction it refers to also being updated to show both extent of refund and also a link between these to timeline entries.

Spot on.
You can’t see a “history” for refunds / refunded transactions.
Especiall the partial refunds are poorly displayed. When you receive a partial refund, the transaction will say refund even thou its just a partial refund.
How N26 handles that:
clicking on a transaction shows:
original full amount charged + date
partial refund amount + date received
final amount in total

I completely agree that there should be a better system put in place, but for now you can use Curve receipts to track each and every transaction. I have activated receipts for all my underlying card and created a filter in my inbox to tag all such e-mails. Curve sends “Updated Curve Receipts” for all refunded payments, partially or not, as well as every time you use Go Back in Time. It’s not an ideal solution, but it’s better than nothing and the best we can have now.

This is a headache and something we will improve. I think this will be a part of Timeline 2.0 on the roadmap. We will have more info to share after we’ve explored and learned more about how it should look like.

How does curve process refund? If i had card A used to purchase an item. However. When the refund is being processed, card B is the active card. Where does curve refund the amount to?

The card you spent on. Even if you remove the card, they will process the refund to the card you paid with.

I have a problem with the Curve App that makes me question if I used the card for Car Rental or anything that may have a pending transaction. Car Rental firms will enter a pending transaction until you actually finish your rental. I was in the US recently and the first transaction went through as a pending transaction which was fine and appeared as a transaction on my underlying card. This was fine.

I then later had 2 transactions appear on my underlying card but only had a refund on my curve app. This is really confusing. I know that transactions in the background are getting charged and refunded but the curve app should show all line items and not “hide” them in a single transaction on the app, this makes the reconciliation of the transactions all that more difficult to track and as such makes users like me open up support tickets to try and understand what has actually happened. The attraction of the “modern” banks who have apps is that you see these transactions right away, if Curve do a transaction through to your card you should be able to match it, if they split it , it makes it harder to match.

I would suggest they either show the same transactions as they are requesting of the underlying card or the mark the transaction 1/2 and 2/2 etc to show they are part transactions on the reference.

I travel frequently and I’m not sure I want to use the Curve card if it’s going work like this for transactions that are like this.

Totally agree, @jasondluk - the whole transaction display around refunds needs a reworking.

In general though I personally don’t use Curve for anything that’s going to put a pending hold on a card, especially ones with potentially big amounts like car hire. Appreciate it depends a bit on the hire car company but I prefer to use a normal credit card (one with 0% fee abroad) to do the hold then separately run the payment through. Same at hotels, although it’s normally easier to manage the practicalities there at checkout.

Also be aware some US hire car companies (Budget springs to mind having recently rented with them) either don’t accept debit cards, require more ID and will often charge a really big deposit to the card.

i have this issue right now, last night had a partial refund from Paypal, but there is not sign on the curve app, which i don’t know if the refund has been processed or not?

For me partial refunds have the label REFUNDED next to it. Even if its a partial refund it will say REFUNDED, which makes one think it was a full refund.
Best way to know a partial refund has happened is once you receive the money back on the underlying card, which can take some business days.

on the app it doesn’t saying anything not refunded, could be because is via paypal?

If you paid with your paypal account and selected in paypal your Curve card as payment source, paypal will also refund your curve card and curve will refund your underlying card. PayPal refunds can take a few business days since they (PayPal) are not the fastest when it comes to that :wink:
If you think your refund has not been processed yet by PayPal I suggest contacting PayPal and asking about it.