My Bad ..... 😡

It’s Saturday, so here it is…

My Bad “WHAT”?

Vilify if you must, but that has to be the most irritating utterance since… :thinking:…ever.

1 Like

I agree with you 100 per cent. Your bad what? Your bad back? Your bad grammer? What is bad?

Exactly !! I mean, exactly !!!

That’s my day ruined. (Incidentally, are we the extent of the anti-”MyBad” brigade?)

Oh dear, I hope not…:flushed:

1 Like

And there it is…it’s started - the pro-MB flagging. It’s a conspiracy… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Let’s see how wide this conspiracy goes…:thinking:

1 Like

Surely it should be “‘mi bad?” as in “Am I Bad?” so the apostrophe taking the place of the a in am.

Now that make some sense. I’d still rather I’d never heard the phrase, but that does ease my pain :grinning:

If only it were true…:flushed:

Yeah it’s unfortunately not true, but great reasoning. Why would you ask somebody am I bad? Wouldn’t you know? :grin:

2 Likes

“my bad” comes from the Latin “mea culpa”. English borrows a lot of Latin vocabulary, it’s far from a lone example. Is your fight against any kind of Latin influence in the English language? :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh indeed not. It’s a battle against daft utterances… quite different :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Not sure what’s so daft about it. Certainly you don’t expect a Germanic language with mostly Latin vocabulary to make a lot of sense, do you?

I fear you miss my point. “My Bad” has no saving graces. It’s just all wrong…

1 Like

Absolutely and completely.

Yes because I’m sure other languages are 100 per cent cohesive. :roll_eyes:

Exactly the point! No language is completely cohesive, especially one with so disparate influences and fragmented history. The idea that languages have to always follow rules is weird to say the least. That’s not how languages work by their very nature

So that means “my fault”. Got that.

“My bad…” doesn’t equate. Fundamentally it’s missing a word - the word after “bad”.

If users aren’t going to complete the phrase they really shouldn’t be fiddling around with it.

It’s got to stop… it really must… :confounded:

The reason “mea culpa” went went from “my fault” or some other more coherent translation to “my bad” is because Shakespeare once used “my bad” as a contrast to the word “good” he used immediately after.

Are you correcting Shakespeare on the use of language? :slightly_smiling_face:

To be fair, maybe it wasn’t Shakespeare at all but rather whomever wrote the manuscript

Shakespeare, of course, was a charlatan. It was Marlowe who wrote most of his stuff (I’ve heard).

Incidentally, it amazes me that castaways on Desert Island Discs are given the Complete Works of Shakespeare, assuming they’d want it. Rather a large assumption it seems to me :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So that was Saturday - this is Thursday…:grinning:

Another off-topic soon (anyone?).