Metal card without numbers at the back

metal

We have all seen the Apple Card presentation an it looks like there will be no information on the card apart from the name.

I personally would never need card a number/dates/CVV on the back of the card if they were available in the app. This massively increases the security of the card in case it is stolen/lost or smb has access to it.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

The Apple Card announcement has raised eyebrows and has sparked discussion across the industry. Admittedly their card design is very sleek and the minimalist look is definitely where things are heading.

We don’t have any plans to change the design of our card to follow suit but I will be sure to pass your suggestion on to our respective team.

Open question: What design changes would you like to see Curve make to our cards?

1 Like

I’d like to see chip&signature cards in the future as is more convenience. And every card issuer must do this according to the following UK website.

http://www.payyourway.org.uk/consumer-advice/chip-and-signature/chip-and-signature-plain-text-guide

So metal cards can be chip&signature only and not contactless so in this case will be only metal card and not metal in the front and plastic in the back like sandwich.

That sounds like a hugely backward and not very popular step unless you can’t use PIN numbers (it’s these people who Chip & Signature cards must be issued for, it’s not there so you can decide you don’t want a PIN)

7 Likes

Another vote for chip & PIN - found very quaint to be asked to sign stuff when in the USA recently!

Also can’t see how Apple will make the cashback numbers work over this side of the Pond where we don’t have the ginormous interchange rates they do!

3 Likes

I might be in the wrong here, but I think the low intercharge only affects EU-issued cards, and Apple Card, being issued by an American institution, is not affected by it. If you refer to Apple possibly expanding their offer to customers in Europe, I don’t think that’s going to happen. Credit cards aren’t such a massive market here.

Indeed - I don’t think they could offer their American card to non-Americans and can’t see the appeal for them moving into a market that has much lower profits to be made.

2 Likes

@Curve_Ivo Hi guys . My own opinion, don’t change anything, keep the large size chip ( good choice + it’s more class than the small one) and maybe just add a gloss black card…Pat.

1 Like

It’s just a matter or business model. If a card issuer relies on interchange to make profit, it will be impacted in the EU with the cap. If it doesn’t rely on the interchange to start with, it will still be able to offer the same perks. Portuguese cards as an example were not impacted by the cap and they are pretty similar to the Apple card in terms of cashback, arguably better.

In the UK it just seems card issuers were lazy and instead of adapting to a reality of limited interchange, they just lowered benefits and trow out the excuse of the interchange cap and people seemingly buy that there are no other business models that would allow the benefits to stay the same

Out of interest what’s the profit model for the Portuguese cards? My impression was the US ones were mainly interchange-based, as were Oz (where benefits have reduced since the RBA brought in similar caps).

It’s basically interest by offering multiple different “special” credit lines where you pay 5 or 6% interest for certain products and/or certain stores, instead of the standard credit card rate of 16%, making it actually a rational/acceptable decision to buy stuff and pay on installments. That’s what most people use when buying domestic appliances.

As an example, an average person is getting 3% cashback on all its purchases on the card while paying 6% interest on a fridge paid over 12 months. Of course you can just enjoy the cashback and use none of the special credit lines

Curve does not issue a non-contactless card and with consumer demanding ever increasing towards full contactless/mobile payments, we are not looking to offer this option going forward.

In most cases chip & signature cards are only provided in special circumstances for customers who have difficulty using a PIN for mobility or accessibility reasons.

2 Likes

I can’t really see that working in the UK where 0% finance is really very easy to access…

Here too, and yet a lot of people prefer to just put it on one of those credit card special lines instead of spending half an hour filling out papers to get that 0% loan