Loading Prepaid Cards from Curve using Amex

Hi guys,

Not involved in the Amex Beta Test. But I have a question, which might sway me towards paying a subscription for Curve.

Previously, if we top up revolut using any credit card. The credit card might charge a cash advance fee as top ups are considered quasi cash by some firms. However, seeing that now, Amex is used to top up our Curve, and categorized under MCC Other professional services, does that mean there will be no more cash advance fees if we top up revolut or any other prepaid cards using the prepaid amount from amex from our curve as curve is debit card, so does not charge cash advance?

With the same arguement, does that mean we can withdraw from ATM using the amount topped up from Amex?

Not doing cash recycling. Previously paying my rents using bank transfer to a private landlord. But if i can pay rents and gain points. I dont see why not. If this is against any rules, do share. Cheers

With the same arguement, does that mean we can withdraw from ATM using the amount topped up from Amex?

ATM withdrawals are straight up disabled for Amex wallets.

(…) does that mean there will be no more cash advance fees if we top up revolut or any other prepaid cards using the prepaid amount from amex from our curve as curve is debit card, so does not charge cash advance?

On a technical level, that is correct. Amex won’t see what you do with your money once in your Curve account, but Curve does. Curve’s fair use policy touches on this behaviour and is purposely vague in what does and what does not count as unfair use/cash recycling. Curve ultimately cannot define something down to a tee because that opens up loop-holes if someone finds a novel method of doing the same thing while technically not breaking the rules. As such, we don’t know exactly how Curve will score your behaviour as fair or unfair.

As such, I unfortunately doubt you’ll get a definitive answer on this.

Here’s a link to the fair use policy if you’re interested: https://www.curve.app/fair-use

Thanks gears for the clear reply.

Not intending to find any loophole. Just wanted to make sure if i’m allowed to do something before i do it to play by the books. =)

Yeah. I guess the definition is vague. My understanding of cash recycling would be taking out money from the credit card and then using the same money to pay back the credit card.

But now. Since i’m not doing that. And am using it to pay rents which have a proven expense trail even before starting curve, and a binding legal agreement. I wonder if that is still deemed cash recycling. And maybe household expenses are deemed paying bills??? As technically rents are recurring bills. =)

Hopefully a member of curve will stop me now if they deem this action illegal. Being allowed to do that would really make amex subscription interesting for me, and likely for many people as rents are a large part of our expenses.

And i guess part of curves selling point is to allow use of credit cards at places that do not allow credit cards. This seems to fall into that category (just me wishful thinking i guess)

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification, would be nice to hear more from the community

There’s some discussion here

Curve seems to have a policy of silence on this though.

I don’t actually see how topping up a prepaid card could be recycling. Not much different from buying a gift voucher. If Curve starts to impose similar restrictions to credit cards, then it’s USP is dead in the water anyway.

Interesting too that my Curve card in Google Pay shows as “Not accepted here” when I try to use Google Pay to top up Revolut, but it works fine if you just add the Curve card normally…

It was definitely working fine with Google Pay on 17 January!

I thought google pay and apple pay integration has not been implemented?

Google pay isn’t live yet, but you can add your card to the google pay wallet, but NFC doesn’t work

You can still add it to Google Pay, it just isn’t properly integrated, so Google Pay does a preauthorisation for each transaction, for example.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.