I hate hate hate hate the CMF of Blue

I have been a Curve member/user since the beginning of Curve. I was a Beta tester etc, and happy/proud to use the service.

I recently had to get my physical card replaced. To my horror, the replacement arrived and looks horrid. So cheap and nasty compared to what I had before.

I have issue with:

• The perceived quality of the card. It feels thinner that my previous one.
  • I hate the fact that the numbers, etc, are printed on the back.

Overall, I feel the card looks and feels cheaper than the one it replaces.

Umhappy

I absolutely love that name & numbers are printed on back. I feel it fives more privacy this way when paying in shops!

Never had black card but for me blue one looks/feels OK.

6 Likes

I think the fact the are no numbers is very cool, Very minimalist. But diversity is always beautiful and I like there are different opinions like yours.
Just so you know, I am 99 % sure that if you contact support they can order a card for you with the numbers and name printed on the front.
Nevertheless I am afraid that the blue color won’t change unless you upgrade to the Black tier…

1 Like

Dont think its possible to get the card number on the front again.
Btw, I just had another rental car company who didnt accept my curve card not because its a debit but because the card number is “printed” on the card and not “embossed”
Its even in their t&c
Back in the day a “printed” card number meant its a prepaid card and that was 1 easy way to tell its prepaid and none of the rental companies accept prepaid cards.
So thats why rental car companies always required embossed card numbers.

4 Likes

I contacted support. They informed me I could not get an embossed card… Unless I upgraded.
#mean

Nope. I cannot get an embossed blue card.

Ooohhh… sorry to hear man… :disappointed:

How is that? Also the Black and Metal Card are unembossed (nowadays).

3 Likes

They require embossed cards so they can swipe them in their zip-zap (aka manual credit card impression) machines.

That’s a matter of personal opinion, of course. However your picture of your old card does demonstrate the disadvantage of having numbers on the front!

2 Likes

I haven’t seen one of those card impression machines for years. Thought the end of embossed cards was well overdue.

In terms of the numbers being on the back…I personally think this looks quite premium and have had quite a few people asking to see my card and saying how well-designed they think it is.

2 Likes

Just had a new replacement black card today. It is thinner than my previous card.

What do they mean unless you upgraded?
Upgraded to what exactly, did they say anything?

Personally I’d always use a credit card for car rental as using a debit card, or even a curve card linked to a credit card, will mean the full payment of deposit will come out straight away, whereas with using an credit card its normally just done as a pending transaction. also have section 75 protection as well.

1 Like

https://www.gi-de.com :pray:

quality

I guess thinner means less plastic, so it’s cheaper to make and better to the environment, win-win!

And oc rental company reject debit card, they have to take the money, cannot just do a pre- authorisation like a credit card can, it’s bad for the customer also.

Which rental company? The only ones I know of that make a fuss out of this are the sort of rental companies I wouldn’t be renting from anyway to be honest!

I’m intrigued to know how Natwest customers manage - their cards are now printed numbers and not embossed…embossing just plain is not a requirement of the card networks any more. Mastercard don’t even require the number to be on the card (see Apple Card).

1 Like

I am having sort of the same discussion on the Dutch Pepper Website. Someone is telling that on ‘the biggest car rental website in the world’ (not sure which one that is) an embossed card is demanded. Just like you trying to explain there is not longer a MasterCard requirement and that the Apple Card doesn’t even have numbers on it. I even posted a picture of an old ‘zig-zag’ machine

By the way I can not imagine that if I am at the desk of the biggest car rental company in the world (regardless of which one it is and the info on embossed cards on their website) with my unembossed credit card that I don’t get a car.

I don’t believe that if you turned up to Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Sixt etc. that you’d have any problems with a card without embossing - they all take an electronic pre-authorisation.

I suspect they might be referring to rentalcars.com, where you can get rental cars from the big, reputable companies, but it’s also a bit of a haven for the tiny, unreliable and generally not good smaller chains that are well known for poor practice like making up damage, misselling insurance and more than likely would use something like a not-embossed card as a problem.

I informed if that’s the one he/she is referring to.