How would you like to send (or receive) money using Curve?

How would you like to send (or receive) money using Curve?

Hello everyone,

We are about to start the project for building peer to peer payments and would love to read about how you could send (or receive) money using Curve?

At the moment, how do you transfer money to friends? What tools/products/services do you use? What about it is a hassle? How would a better solution look like?

Go crazy with your ideas, I will pass them to the team and will keep you updated with how the feature develops.

Stay tuned!

5 Likes
Curve Roulette
made this a banner . It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user. #4

As a local/national solution I use Tikkie for that, as an international solution I use Wavy.
Or I pay them cash.
Or if they are not that good of a friend I do not pay them and hope they do forget about it. :wink:

When using Curve for this it would be nice if the receiver does not need a wallet in Curve but could receive the money directly on an underlying card.
And it would be nice if the sender does not need to have or does not need to install the Curve App.
And the sender should be able to pay by other means than Visa/MasterCard (Creditcard/Debitcard) alone (think of PayPal, SOFORT and because I am a Dutchy iDEAL).

3 Likes

I just use sort code and account number - I’ve tried a few other systems (paym, paypal, monzo.me, revolut etc) but figuring out which one someone has and then getting the details for it (email address, phone number, url etc) always seems like more hassle than just getting their bank details.

3 Likes

Ditto. Occasionally PayPal, but generally just faster payment via RBS app using sort + a/c num

P2P payments in Poland are made either by regular bank transfers (and they appear on the balance the next day) or by BLIK phone transfers https://blikmobile.pl/en/, which are supported by most major banks. The latter are instantaneous, don’t need the recipient’s data other than their phone number, and don’t require downloading any other app than the one of your bank. The only thing they lack is payment requests, so you sometimes need to manually message someone to make them send you money and that can be awkward. It’s gonna be really hard to beat that solution, however that’s fairly local.

As international payments go, I use Revolut payment links to request money and send it likewise. It’s not great or anything, as it involves entering the card data (lots of numbers), but it’s bearable. Only those of my friends who are outside the EEA use PayPal, but everyone hates that so that’s kinda a necessity.

I personally can see Curve as the go-to solution for splitting transactions. You could make it work with Go Back in Time, as in you could split between people and your various underlying cards at the same time.

In Denmark, it is very generalized and common to use an app which is called MobilePay (yes, very original name), we use it for many things such as paying bills, paying is shops or mostly, paying between friends or other people just by using the phone number of the recipient. It is something we are having now since 2013 and I don’t know any single Dane who doesn’t use it. It is because of this fact that the function of send/receive money with Curve doesn´t call my attention very much.

I’ll send it by bank transfer. Or my partner uses an additional card for my credit card (or vice versa)

I use PayPal, or just go to an ATM and give my friend cash.
Or we settle with an intermediate currency (often beer)

1 Like

The Monzo solution, whereby fellow account holders within your contact list are highlighted is very neat. Used it a couple of times, and it’s wrinkle-free - no overheads or fees.

Used Paypal a few times for the obvious eBay transactions, though a few years ago it appeared, also, to be the only obvious solution (to me) for international transfers. I recall that having a sizeable few attached, too.

There’s a call herein this thread for real simplicity. The simpler the better.

If, however, a potential Curve solution required the other party to have a version of the Curve’s app (without being a cardholder) it’d be no real drama, particularly if it became a feature for regular use.

In Sweden, we use the Swish app to send money to each other and pay with.

Swish is very popular and I think it can be difficult to compete against.

2 Likes

Personally I use bank transfer, i.e. bank account/sort code. On a few occasions I have used Barclays “PingIt” – It knows who’s got a PingIt account when you search contacts, that works very well.

They say the recipient doesn’t have to have a Barclays account to receive money, but I generally only use PingIt for people I know who use Barclays. PingIt also let’s you add a message and photo which is kinda nice too – More personal.

But the simpler the better as Graham said.

Monzo has this nailed perfect IMO generate a link that can be sent via any method the user / recipient need. It’s akin to an ‘e’ cheque. If it were also available in any supported currency that would be great

I can’t see this being a viable solution - if somebody has to download an app just to send/receive money with me, it’s going to be easier to just use a normal bank transfer. Several companies have tried this (eg. Circle), but failed to get any adoption in the UK, where there’s a universal person-to-person payment mechanism that works with any bank. Some have succeded in the US (eg. Venmo), but over there sending money to another bank is still a mess, so there’s more reason to try other solutions.

Monzo’s system is ok in theory, but in the end, typing in a card number to pay someone is no easier than typing in a sort code/account number.

4 Likes

Vipps is the go-to solution in Norway. It’s even used to make payments at markets or exhibitions. You send/request money using phone numbers and the user interface looks like texts. It does require the recipient/sender to have the app and not sure how well the solution would work outside of the Norwegian bank infrastucture.

1 Like

I work for an airline and I’d say 80-90% of all crew in the UK have Revolut. All you need to do is mimic how peer to peer payments work with them. It could not be more simple or bettered.

One important feature you must have is the ability to pay somebody else without knowing their details or having them stored on your phone. With Revolut you go to an area of the app called FIND PEOPLE NEAR ME. Then anybody can pay you if your are in your vicinity. Great when 1 person pays the dinner bill and the other 8 want to send you their share.

5 Likes

I’ve not had to enter my card number. I go in, generate a payment link and tell them how much. It’s then sent by me to whomever I choose by whichever media I choose. They add their bank details on receipt.

Oh, to send money to others - I thought you meant to get paid back by other people, in which case they have to enter their card details into Monzo.me. In any case, with what you’re describing somebody still has to type in bank details at some point, so it’s not really any quicker than just entering bank details for a direct transfer. The only difference is which party has to do it.

Looking at the posts so far in this topic Curve is going to have a hard time replacing national solutions. So maybe Curve should be focusing on an international solution between people in different countries and/or currencies?

It might be even an idea for Curve to focus on a different feature first. Why not let the community (with a poll) prioritize a couple of (by Curve pre-chosen) features from the roadmap?

4 Likes

I use revolut.me paylink or polish p2p BLIK fast payment system.

2 Likes