How to view the current exchange rate (real-time)?

I will travel to Japan and in order to see what card to use there - my bank, Revolut or Curve etc, is there a way to see the exchange rate in real-time for Curve in the app or somewhere else online?

Unfortunately there’s not - feel free to vote for the request to add it though!

2 Likes

https://www1.oanda.com/currency/live-exchange-rates/

how you know these are Curve rates?

1 Like

They are not “Curve rates”. They are based on interbank market rates which Curve uses. The rates update every 5 seconds. It’s about as close as anything out there to what the OP was asking for.

Edit: Apologies. You are the OP. To explain further - there are mastercard rates, visa rates and interbank spot rates. There is no such thing as curve rates, so have provided a link to one of the most respected currency sites out there but quote rates mirroring the interbank rates in real time. I know it’s not exactly what you asked for, but technically what you asked for doesn’t exist. :slight_smile:

Edit 2: Just to make things more confusing :slight_smile: , credit/debit card companies/banks don’t ‘trade’ every transaction the second that it happens, they tend to batch lots of transactions together and then do the conversion as a large amount of money has more ‘buying power’ than lots of little transactions, or it could be that to get the interbank rates a mimimum amount must be traded. So if you do a transaction at say, 11:00am, and wonder why the conversion rate is closer to that of 11:30am for example, then this is the reason why.

2 Likes

Why not use the Revolut exchange rate?
It show real time exchange rate in the app
They are interbank exchange rate too?

Curve have a extra markup then using JPY
1.5 in the weekend added to curve

On weekends, which we count as Friday 23:59 - Sunday 23:59, the UK foreign exchange markets are closed. During this time, we take the rate from Friday 23:59 and charge an additional 0.5% for all transactions made in GBP, EUR and USD and 1.5% for all other supported currencies.

Revolut

• +0.5% to all major currencies (ie. USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, CAD, NZD, CHF, JPY, SEK, HKD, NOK, SGD, DKK, PLN, and CZK); and

I think you just answered your own question in your other post. But yes, if you want to do extra calculations to compensate for 0.5% here and there, whereas the link I provided is raw rates without adjustments.

My goal was to compare weekdays rate Curve-Revolut? (not weekend we all know is not recommended use (unless you have bought JPY in advance in Revolut case))

With revolut you still have the exchange rate in the app
The weekend rate with mark-up are added
The 0.5% are cheaper than curve, curve add 1,5 to jpy

So revolut exchange rate + 1% for curve