Feedback on AXA travel insurance offer for black and metal

Thanks! I am interested to know too.
Also, which number did you call to update the information?

02038872948 - I couldn’t get the number listed in the app to link through correctly on my phone, so had to type it manually.

Curve team - do you collect date of birth from users? I seem to recall that you don’t, which is probably why the default has been provided to AXA. If not, you probably need to start doing that in the app. And give users the ability to update their billing address perhaps.

1 Like

I was told that if winter sports is not my main reason for the trip. it is covered within the policy. Asking them what defines main reason of the trip. But i am skiing only 3 days out of the 8 days i’ll be there… so i guess its not main reason

Do I need to register my phone somewhere to validate the insurance on it? Or does it apply to all my phones I own? I have curve metal

Does this insurance cover family members? I was not able to find it in t&c, but it was mentioned a couple times in updates from curve.

The biggest problem I have with the travel insurance thus far is that I haven’t actually been able to talk to anybody from AXA about it. I’ve spent so long on hold listening to the most generic trilingual waiting message I’ve ever heard that I cannot attribute any value to it, because I can only assume that if I ever need to claim it’ll be more stressful than it’s worth.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve never got through either. I can only assume that when you select the emergency/claim option on the initial menu (rather than customer service option) then it’s be much quicker response.

1 Like

Yes it does cover family when travelling with you. It’s in the definitions under “You”.

1 Like

Not when I tried - exactly the same hold message and experience. I didn’t bother waiting to find out if they answer any quicker; I’d spent too long already waiting the maximum 30 minutes I allow places to keep me on hold numerous times.

Called them today and got nowhere with customer service so going to try the claim number tomorrow, guy I spoke to couldn’t find the policy number I gave him

You realise the numbers are the same?

Based on my experience you were lucky to even talk to someone!

This insurance gets more and more worthless by the hour it seems.

I did as soon as I typed that and looked at them! Downgraded card some time ago.

Oops, should have noticed this was a super old thread! Sorry.

I have had the same shocking experience trying to contact AXA. This gives me little hope of using it as a valid insurance because the customer service is so bad

Hi Shachar

The insurance coverage provided by metal is highly insufficient. Despite having metal, I have not been able to cancel any other insurance policies, as Curve’s do not cover my needs. A few examples of why:

• The gadget insurance is limited to £800, so doesn’t cover a decent laptop or a high-end phone
  • Sports (including skiing) are only covered if they’re not the main purpose of the trip - ie. If I go on a skiing holiday, it’s not covered
  • Partner is only covered if travelling with me
  • Rental car insurance only covers cars valued up to £25k
  • Medical insurance doesn’t cover me as I’m in the UK on a work visa - the insurance requires you to be a permanent resident

On another note, the Black gadget insurance excludes screen damage for phones, but this isn’t mentioned in the app.

I mostly have my metal subscription as an investment in Curves future like another poster above, but the actual value I derive from it now is approx £0/month. If the new rewards program is what has been previewed on here, then that won’t change. Unless there’s big changes I can’t see myself continuing the subscription beyond a year.

For this to be valuable, the benefits would need to be sufficient to replace those bought elsewhere, unlike the current insurance offering.

Thanks for coming on here to chat with us.

6 Likes

Don’t forget that the Hire Car insurance does not cover hiring a car in your home country - which makes it completely worthless to me.

That all is irrelevant though because the AXA call centre is utterly impossible to get through to in a reasonable amount of time, so none of the insurance can be considered to have any meaningful value at all because you’d never get through to them to file the claim.

3 Likes

When you have problems contacting your insurance company even for the simple things like asking a question, you can be 100% sure actual filing a claim will be horrible. I myself pay 8€ /year for my worldwide medical insurance (outside of my home country), with 0€ deductible.
60GBP for worldwide car insurance for unlimited reantals, again, with 0€ deductible.
All are not related to any card, so I’m not forced to use a specific card.

1 Like

Exactly…

I have European CDW Insurance for less than £40 a year that covers cars up to £60k, and - shock horror - even covers me in the same country I live in! Also nil excess (the whole point is that it is insurance to cover the excess that comes with the hire agreement!).

My travel insurance is pretty much the same in terms of limits as Curve (but better in the more ‘expensive’ areas), costs me less than £40 a year (albeit I don’t need family cover, not having a family et al) except that when I phone them they answer the phone - in Britain - in less than a minute, and the people who answer the phone ALWAYS know how to provide an answer to my question - ergo, I can’t afford to rely on Curve for that either.

The gadget insurance…well, it’s got so many holes in it that I can’t imagine it ever paying out. It certainly isn’t a replacement for Apple Care +

Worldwide medical insurance for €8 a year is a good deal though! My private medical insurance is through my workplace so technically costs me nothing, but I pay a reasonable amount for extra cover.

1 Like

The offer not very good. My in-laws own their own travel insurance company which is underwritten by AXA (and others). I had insurance from them (obviously I get a 100% family discount), but they are as little as £13 for a two week trip on the top coverage. Things like hearing aids (important for me) and suitcase damage etc are all covered. The policy offered from Curve, doesn’t cover them.

As for the gadget insurance. If I remember rightly it costed me something like £8 (for the year) to upgrade my home insurance to cover my £950 phone. Curve insurance is up to £800, rubbish.

The whole thing isn’t worth it.

1 Like

What is the name of your CDW insurance provider? €35k limit on Axa is a joke.