FAQs - Spending with your Curve

faqs

SPENDING WITH THE CURVE CARD

Where do I start?

To make your first purchase, please make sure that you have an active Curve Mastercard® and a funding card selected in your Curve app. Your first transaction with Curve must be Chip & PIN - this is for security reasons.

If you have any issues when making your first transaction - please don’t hesitate to contact us at support@imaginecurve.com or through the app by tapping “Support”.

What are the spending limits?

Brand new customers are subject to extra checks until they build up a spend history with us. Please always take a back up card. We’re in beta so we are tweaking our risk engine all the time to make sure it’s doing a good job of protecting you whilst letting you spend easily with Curve.

Standard limits are:

• £2,000 spend per day
  • £5,000 spend per month (rolling 30 days)
  • £200 cash withdrawal per day
  • £10,000 yearly (rolling 365 days)
    Curve limits will increase over time as you cultivate a spend history with us and pass our account risk checks.

Enhanced limits for Curve Debit (Business and Personal) customers are:

• £3,750 spend per day
  • £20,000 spend per month (rolling 30 days)
  • £1,000 cash withdrawal per day
  • £50,000 yearly (rolling 365 days)

Enhanced limits for Curve Prepaid (business) customers are:

• £5,000 spend per day
  • £15,000 spend per month (rolling 30 days)
  • £500 cash withdrawal per day
  • £50,000 yearly (rolling 365 days)

You can also view your Curve limits in the app. Android: Tap the ‘hamburger’ menu at the top left and choosing ‘Curve Limits’. iOS: Tap the ‘card’ menu at the bottom left and choosing “See your Curve Limits”.

If you would like to get in touch regarding your Curve limits, you can get in touch with our Support team anytime at support@imaginecurve.com.

Are there any fees associated with using Curve?

There are no fees when you spend in the same currency that is in the bank account connected to the funding card. For international spending, or spending in another currency than what’s on your funding account, please read “Traveling”.

ATM usage is free for up to 10 same currency withdrawals per calendar month. Please be aware that you are still subjected to your merchant and underlying payment cards’ Terms of Service while using your Curve card. If your underlying card imposes ATM and cash advance fees, you will still have to pay them.

When adding a funding card, £1 will be pre authorised from your account and immediately refunded. It might take 2-3 days before it’s reflected in your funding account.

How will my bank see my transactions with Curve?

The transactions made by Curve on your card are classed as eCommerce (online) transactions, with “Curve” as the merchant.

Transactions will appear on your statement as ‘CRV - Merchant Name’.

Your card issuer will also receive the MCC (merchant category code), so they can identify your spend categories. If you have a card which gives you rewards based on categories of spend (e.g groceries, travel, etc.), you may be able to earn rewards for these purchases in addition to your Curve rewards.

Your card issuer can also see whether or not you have withdrawn cash. Please be aware of cash withdrawal or cash advance fees applicable to your payment card. We recommend checking your card issuer’s terms and conditions for whether any fees apply. For more information please refer to our Fair Use Policy.

Am I covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act?

Curve offers similar protection to a standard UK high street bank debit card where customers will not be liable for unauthorised purchases from the moment they inform us that their card has been stolen (see terms of service for full information).

In the same way as PayPal or Amazon, 3rd party purchases using Curve are not a direct purchase from the user’s original card, so the purchases are not covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

However, Curve customers are protected by Mastercard® chargeback rights, where refunds may be provided if goods are damaged, not as described, or the merchant has ceased trading.

Why is my transaction "pending" or delayed?

Sometimes merchants process transactions ‘offline’. This means the payment isn’t processed at the time but around 24 hours later (it can even sometimes take up to a week).

We charge the card which is selected when the payment is processed. This means you’ll receive the notification later and it might not be the card you had selected at the time you made the payment.

Can I use Curve to pay a hotel or rental deposit?

If the deposit is more than £150, yes.

Curve will automatically assume that charges from hotels or car rental agencies over £150 are deposits. We treat these transactions differently to all others, putting a hold on payment capture, so Curve effectively acts like a credit card would.

However, Curve cannot distinguish between deposit pre-authorisations and normal transactions, so for amounts below £150, Curve will always process the transaction, much like if you paid on a debit card.

What happens when I get a refund on a purchase made using Curve?

Ordinarily, refunds will include a reference to the original transaction. When this is the case, Curve will automatically refund to the card used to make the transaction.

Otherwise, if the merchant doesn’t send a reference to the original transaction, we will look for matching transactions to determine where the refund should go.

How do I fix a duplicate transaction?

With Curve, you will never be left out of pocket. If it looks like you have been charged twice for one transaction, please get in touch with our support team with the details and they will be able to investigate.

If you have been incorrectly charged, we will ensure that the funds are reimbursed.

PAYMENT TROUBLESHOOTING

Why can't I activate my Curve Mastercard®?

To activate your Curve, you need to have an EEA issued card in your own name, verified by microcharge. You also need an app passcode and a verified phone number. You will then be able to activate your Curve by entering the last four digits of the card number in-app.

If you can’t see the ‘Activate your Curve’ button in-app, please sign out and sign back into the app.

If you have completed all of the above steps and you are still not able to activate your Curve, please contact us via support@imaginecurve.com.

Where is the code to verify my bank card?

You can find the verification code in the bank statement of your funding card. It can take 3-5 days before it appear on your bank statement, depending on your card issuer. If you would like to know sooner, you can call your bank and ask for the reference. The code you need to enter will be in the format C-xxxxxx.

If you have not received the code after 3-5 days time, it is possible that your bank is blocking the transaction. If this is the case, please contact them to ask them to whitelist transactions with Curve.

Why was my purchase declined?

We’re sorry you experienced a decline, this could have happened for a number of reasons, some of which are mapped out below. Please contact us at support@imaginecurve.com or in-app, and we will do our best to resolve it quickly for you.

Your Rewards card is selected and you don’t have enough points on your card to make the payment.

You’ve reached a daily, monthly or yearly spending limit- if you’ve been with us for a while, we might be able to raise them.

A timeout error occurred, where the transaction takes too long to complete. This is usually a one-off connectivity issue and you may want to try again a minute later.

Your underlying payment card has insufficient funds.

Your bank has blocked transactions with Curve - sometimes bank’s fraud engines can initially be suspicious of Curve because it is a brand new product. In this case, you can contact your bank and ask them to whitelist Curve transactions.

Your PIN is blocked because it was entered incorrectly too many times- contact the support team so they can unlock it for you.

The merchant is not permitted with Curve - there are certain transactions which are inherently high risk.

You don’t have a verified payment card on your Curve account.

You tried to pay at an automatic petrol pump which isn’t currently permitted due to restrictions put in place by our payment processor.

Curve Mastercard® is blocked - if your Curve has triggered our automated fraud rules, please get in touch so we can resolve it for you.

The merchant requires 3DS which we currently don’t support but will do in the future.

What do I do with a declined transaction that I was still charged for?

Declined transactions may appear on your statements when Curve is not updated after a merchant or retailer declines your transaction or the transaction fails.

This happens occasionally, but you will not lose your money. Because the merchant or retailer will not collect the payment, the amount will be refunded automatically after 10 days. You can have the refund processed earlier if you send us evidence of the decline via support@imaginecurve.com. The refund will be reflected in your funding account 2-3 working days after being processed.

Why was I charged on the wrong card?

There are a few scenarios where this may occur. ‘Go Back in Time’ allows you to move transactions made on using your Curve Mastercard® from one funding card in your Curve app to another. It’s free, and can be done entirely in-app. You can use ‘Go Back in Time’ feature to move any purchase under £1000 with your Curve Mastercard® up to 14 days after it was made.

Amazon charges you when they dispatch your item(s), rather than when you place your order. That means that you will be charged on the funding card that is selected at the time of dispatch. In the event that the wrong funding card is used, you can use our ‘Go Back in Time’ feature to move the transaction onto the funding card of your choice.

Some merchants, such as hotels, airlines, Japanese retailers and American restaurants, will occasionally process your purchases ‘offline’. It this case the transaction is authorized when you present your card, but is it processed later as a separate offline transaction a day or so later. This can show as 2 or more charges on your account, but you will only be charged once by Curve as our system will automatically refund the other transactions after 10 days. This will be reflected in your funding account within the following 3-5 days.

If you are signed into Curve on two devices, you may encounter issues when changing between funding cards. In these cases, you can use our ‘Go Back in Time’ feature to move the transaction onto the funding card of your choice.

What do I do if I have the wrong PIN?

Your PIN you can retrieve it in-app by clicking the card icon at the bottom left and select ‘Show PIN’. If you’ve entered your PIN wrong 3 times, please contact us to get your PIN unblocked. You will then need to visit an ATM to unblock your card.

Why am I being decline because I’ve hit ‘spending limits’ without setting them?

Your Curve comes with initial spending limits and caps set in place by our Risk Department and exists to protect you from fraud. This happens by monitoring and occasionally blocking transactions in real-time. For example, transactions made at massage parlours and gambling purchases. You also won’t be able to do cashback or buy currency.

Your initial spend limits are:
£200 cash per day
£2000 per day/ per transaction
£5000 rolling 30 day spend

If you have been using Curve regularly for 4-6 weeks and would like to increase your limits, please get in touch with us via support@imaginecurve.com.

How do I stop PayPal charging my purchase in the wrong currency?

If you find that PayPal is charging your Curve Mastercard® in the wrong currency for your transactions, you can change your payment options in your PayPal to always pay for a transaction in the currency that the vendor is selling in. This way, when you are using your Curve card with a EUR funding card, PayPal will charge your Curve card in EUR.

Can I use my Curve card on gov.uk sites, such as HMRC?

The Curve card is a Mastercard® Debit card and can be used anywhere Mastercard Debit is accepted, subject to Fair Use.

When making payments to government agencies such as HMRC you should be aware of the rules and restrictions they may have in place around payment methods. For further information around their accepted payment methods please visit their website.

Why does TFL says I went to Victoria Street when I did not?

TfL use offline contactless payments, which are then processed the next day, or even several days later if it’s over the weekend. Victoria Street is where their head office is so that’s why it appears on the transaction list like that - not because you’ve travelled through Victoria.

Why does this merchant thinks Curve is an Australian card?

Our BIN is registered to Wirecard (our issuer in the UK) but it was previously in use by Westpac. Some merchants have not updated their BIN tables to reflect this change.

However, if you can provide details of the merchant where you had issues we can inform MasterCard® who will ask them to update their BIN information.

TRAVELING AND USING CURVE ABROAD

What foreign exchange rates and fees will I pay?

As of the 20th of September, Curve does not charge fees foreign transactions or ATM withdrawals made abroad, subject to our Terms of Service.

You can make purchases in foreign currency converted at the real exchange rate i.e. the rate at which banks exchange money, also known as the interbank rate or mid-market rate. There are certain limits on the amount up to which you can make fee free transactions or ATM withdrawals, after which charges will apply.

Please note, if the currency of your transaction and the currency of the underlying payment card used with Curve is the same, Curve will always pass through the transaction with no additional fees.

For Curve Blue (free) customers, you can spend of £500 per month with no currency conversion fees. Any amount over this will incur a 1% fee. From the 19th November 2018, any cumulative spend over £500 per month, will incur a 2% fee.

For Curve Black customers, you have unlimited free currency conversion (subject to fair use of £15,000 a year, beyond which we may charge 2% of the amount of the transaction as currency conversion fees).

From Fridays at 23:59 to Sundays 23:59, the UK foreign exchange markets are closed. During this time, we take the rate from Friday and charge an additional 0.5% for all transactions made in GBP, EUR and USD and 1% for all other supported currencies. From the 19th November 2018, we will charge an additional 1.5% for all other supported currencies.

For more information, please see our Terms.

How much does it cost to withdraw cash abroad?

For Curve Blue (free) customers, you can withdraw up to £200 per month with no currency conversion fees. Any amount over this will incur a 1% fee. From the 19th November 2018, for any withdrawal over £200 per month, you will be charged 2% of the amount of the transaction or £2 (whichever is higher).

For Curve Black customers, you can withdraw up to £400 per month with no currency conversion fees. Any amount over £400 will incur a 1% fee. From the 19th November 2018, for any withdrawal over £400 per month, you will be charged 2% of the amount of the transaction or £2 (whichever is higher).

From Fridays at 23:59 to Sundays 23:59, the UK foreign exchange markets are closed. During this time, we take the rate from Friday and charge an additional 0.5% for all transactions made in GBP, EUR and USD and 1% for all other supported currencies. From the 19th November 2018, we will charge an additional 1.5% for all other supported currencies.

Which currencies does Curve support

You make purchases in every currency with Curve. However, Curve can only charge your underlying cards in one of the following currencies:

AUD - Australian Dollars

BGN - Bulgarian Lev

BRL - Brazilian Real

CAD - Canadian Dollars

CHF - Swiss Francs

CNY - Chinese Yuan

CZK - Czech Koruna

DKK - Danish Krone

EUR - Euros

GBP - UK Pounds

HKD - Hong Kong Dollars

HRK - Croatian Kuna

HUF - Hungarian Forint

ILS - Israeli New Sheqel

ISK - Icelandic Króna

INR - Indian Rupees

JPY - Japanese Yen

NOK - Norwegian Krone

NZD - New Zealand Dollars

PLN - Polish Zloty

RON - Romanian Leu

RUB - Russian Rubles

SEK - Swedish Krona

SGD - Singapore Dollars

USD - US Dollars

ZAR - South African Rand

To select the currency you would like your card charged in, tap the (i) next to the card and select the ‘Change Card Currency’ option. You will then be able to select one of the above currencies.

Do I need to tell Curve when I go abroad?

You don’t need to tell us you are going abroad. However, we do recommend travelling with a backup card in case your Curve Mastercard® is lost, blocked, or in the unlikely case that Mastercard® isn’t accepted.

Can I use Curve to pay a hotel or rental deposit?

If the deposit is more than £150, yes.

Curve will automatically assume that charges from hotels or car rental agencies over £150 are deposits. We treat these transactions differently to all others, putting a hold on payment capture, so Curve effectively acts like a credit card would.

However, Curve cannot distinguish between deposit pre-authorisations and normal transactions, so for amounts below £150, Curve will always process the transaction, much like if you paid on a debit card.

TRACK SPENDING

How do I view my spend history?

You can view your spend history in the app by clicking on the Timeline icon at in the menu along the bottom of the screen. You can search and filter your Timeline to show particular transactions.

Please note that, at the moment, declined transactions don’t show up in the Timeline. Refunded transactions will show an updated total amount, or £0 if refunded totally, and will be marked ‘REFUNDED’. You should also receive a notification if you have notifications turned on in your app.

How are my transactions categorised in Curve?

We use categories to make tracking your spending simpler. We label transactions by type of spend, whether it’s groceries or transport for instance.

We do this by using the merchant’s details so everything is done automatically. If something isn’t right, you’ll be able to change it - simply tap the transaction and the label underneath transaction details.

We have the following categories: Subscriptions, Business, Travel, Fun Stuff, Transport, Food & Drink, Lifestyle, Entertainment, Health, Home, and General

How can I search and filter my transactions?

There are many ways to search and filter through your transactions in the app.

You can see all your transactions on your Timeline which you can access via the menu at the bottom of your app. When you visit your Timeline you will be able to see the filter button on the top right. From here you can filter your transactions by:

• The card it was made on
  • The amount it was for
  • The date range it was made in
  • The category of the purchase
  • The currency of the transaction
  • Whether there was a receipt added

You’ll then be able to view your weekly, monthly and your filtered totals - all of which you can export as a .csv spreadsheet via email using the button in the top left!

If there’s one particular transaction, merchant or category you’re after, you can use the search bar on the top right so you can use text to search through your transactions.

Can I add notes to my transactions in Curve?

Yes! To add notes, receipts, or change the category for any purchase you make with Curve, simply head to the Curve Timeline and select the purchase you’d like to add details for. You will be given the following options:

Category: All your purchases with Curve are automatically categorised so you know what a specific purchase was for - from ‘Food & Drink’, to “Groceries”, to “Transport” etc.

Add Receipt: If you would like to keep a receipt as a record of an expense, tap ‘Add Receipt’ you’ll be given the option of adding an image from your camera roll, or scanning a receipt in the cure app.

Write a Note: If you would like to add a note to jog your memory or to expand on why you made a purchase, tap ‘Write a Note’ to type a free-hand note.

Business Purchase: If you made a purchase for business reasons, you can note this here. If you have connected any cards in your Curve app to Xero, we will send it through to your Xero organisation at this point.

How I export my transaction data?

You can export your transaction history as a CSV file using the app. To do this, press the ‘export’ button at the top of your timeline.

You can filter the transactions you export by date range, transaction amounts, by categories and by currency. You can also choose to export all transactions or just those charged to a particular payment card.

GO BACK IN TIME

What is 'Go Back in Time'?

‘Go Back in Time’ allows you to move transactions made on using your Curve Mastercard® from one funding card in your Curve app to another. It’s free, and can be done entirely in-app.

You can use ‘Go Back in Time’ feature to move any purchase under £1000 with your Curve Mastercard® up to 14 days after it was made.

Which transactions can I move with Go Back in Time?

You can move completed (not pending) transactions that are fewer than 14 days old, and under £1000. Any single eligible transaction can be moved only once with ‘Go Back in Time’.

You can move your transactions onto any funding card which you have added and verified with Curve, you cannot move the transaction for onto your rewards card.

You can move transactions in different currencies to a funding card which has the same currency as either the original funding card or the currency originally billed for that transaction. For example:
A GBP purchase made on a GBP card can be moved to a GBP card only
A EUR purchase made on a GBP card can be moved to a GBP or EUR card
A EUR purchase made on a EUR card can be moved to a EUR card only

How do I move a transaction?

If you see a transaction that would be better off on a different funding card, you have the chance to move it somewhere else up to two weeks later. You will have the chance to do this once for every eligible transaction.

How to:

1. Locate the transaction you want to ‘Go Back in Time with’ from either the home screen or your timeline.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the transaction and tap ‘Go Back in Time’, found under ‘Transaction Features’.
  3. Scroll along the carousel to select the funding card you want to move the transaction to. The new funding card must be verified and in the same currency as either the original funding card or the currency originally billed.
  4. Once you have confirmed that you would like to move the transaction, you will receive confirmation.
What happens to refunds with 'Go Back in Time' transactions?

If you receive a refund after we have moved the transaction onto another funding card, we will process the refund to the funding card that the transaction has been moved to using the ‘Go Back in Time’ feature. Please note that loyalty points earned from the original transaction may be deducted by your bank or original funding card issuer. Please refer to their terms for more information.

If you received a partial refund before moving the transaction, we will only move the charge left over; you will not be charged and refunded again.

REFUNDS AND PAYMENT DISPUTES

How do refunds work when spending with Curve?

We will receive your refund 1-5 days after you have requested it from a retailer. Refunds onto your Curve card will be matched with the funding card that was used to make the purchase.

It can take up to 5 working days before the refund is reflected in your bank account. If this is not the case, please contact us via support@imaginecurve.com.

How do refunds appear in my Curve app?

Refunds will be displayed on the original transaction in your Curve Timeline with the updated total amount together with the label “REFUNDED”. When we process a full refund, the transaction will show as £0 in the app.

What is a dispute/chargeback?

Purchases made using your Curve Mastercard® are protected by the Mastercard® Chargeback Scheme. This means that you are able to dispute a purchase and claim your money back in the event that:

• You have not received the goods or services that you paid for
  • The goods or services that you received were faulty or not as described
  • You have received counterfeit goods
  • You have been charged twice for the same goods or service

The above list is not exhaustive; if you would like to dispute a transaction for the above reasons, or others, please contact support@imaginecurve.com.

How does the dispute process look like and how long does is it take?

Disputes can be a lengthy process, we recommend that you attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the merchant as this often shorten the process. If that is not possible, once we have all the evidence required, this is typically the what happens:

1. We submit the chargeback to our card issuer on your behalf.
  2. Our card issuer submits the chargeback to Mastercard.
  3. Mastercard will send the information to the company that you are in dispute with.
  4. The company will review the evidence provided and either accept the chargeback or reject it if they can provide compelling evidence.
  5. If the chargeback is rejected we will be in touch to let you know the reasons why.

Please be aware that raising a dispute directly with your funding bank/card provider will delay the process of processing your chargeback request as the request will come through to Curve rather than to the merchant you are in dispute with.

How do I proceed with a dispute I have with merchant over a purchase I made using my Curve Mastercard®?

If you are unable to resolve your dispute with the merchant directly, please get in touch with us by emailing support@imaginecurve.com, providing the details of the purchase. Please provide the following evidence:

• Full details of what you have purchased, including details of the item or service that you haven’t received.
  • Copies of all documentation relating to the charges, e.g. invoices, receipts, confirmation of orders.
  • Evidence that you have attempted to contact the merchant to resolve the dispute with them directly.
  • Once we have all the evidence required, we’ll be able to submit a Chargeback on your behalf.

Please be aware that raising a dispute directly with your funding bank/card provider will delay the process of processing your chargeback request as the request will come through to Curve rather than to the merchant you are in dispute with.

What do I do with an unfamiliar transaction on my Curve Mastercard®?

Prevent further unfamiliar transactions by immediately locking your Curve Mastercard® in the app. Select the ‘Card’ tab from the bottom menu and tap ‘Lock Card’. If you don’t have access to the app, please call +44(0) 20 33 222 585, we are available 24 hours. Please note that you may be charged by your network provider.

Get in touch with our support team with the details of the transactions you do not recognise so that we may investigate them. Rest assured you will not be left out of pocket for any unauthorised transactions.

Why can see a Curve transaction on my statement when I’m not a customer?

If you are seeing transactions from “CRV*” on your bank or card statement, but do not have a Curve account, it is usually because your card details were added by an authorised friend or family member. Please check with any family or household members who might have had permission to use your card (e.g. children, spouse, etc.).

If you have reason to believe that your card details have been used by someone else without your authorisation, please get in touch immediately with your bank/card provider to file a dispute and request that your card be cancelled and reissued. This is the best way to ensure that your information is secured as soon as possible.
Once you have informed your bank or card company that the charges were unauthorised, they will be able to walk you through the dispute process. They will reimburse you for your loss and will file a chargeback with Curve separately for that amount.

MANAGING BUSINESS EXPENSES

What accounting software does Curve connect to?

You can currently connect with Xero. We will be adding more accounting software in the future, too! If there’s a particular accounting package you’d like Curve to connect to, let us know

Can I have my receipts emailed to me?

Email Receipts mean we can send a complete rundown of each transaction you make using the Curve Mastercard® straight to your inbox.

Email Receipts include:

• The merchant name
  • The date and time of the transaction
  • The amount (in domestic and foreign currencies if applicable)
  • Details of the card you used to pay a photo of the physical receipt if you capture one in-app - if you add a receipt image to your transaction notes after we’ve sent your original Email Receipt, we’ll update the original email (and any forwarded copies) with a picture of that receipt.

You’ll receive Email Receipts to the email account that you’re registered to Curve with.

How do I add receipts to purchases?

After you have made a payment with Curve, you can take a photo of the physical receipt and attach it to the transaction in-app.

To do this, select the transaction from the list and tap ‘receipt’ which will open the camera. Curve will store the photo in the app. If you can’t take a photo, please make sure you allow Curve permission to access your camera.

How do I switch Email Receipts on or off?

You can turn the Email Receipts feature on and off with a tap in the app. To do so, tap the card you’d like to toggle receipts on/ off for, then select the (i) icon underneath the card. From there you can turn the feature on and off by toggling ‘Send email receipts’.

Apply for closed Curve Amex Closed Beta Programme
Paypal charges in USD
opened #5