Double charged - GBIT

Has anyone experienced a situation where you’ve used GBIT and not seen the refund apply to the original account.

I’ve confirmation in-app that GBIT took place, but despite Monzo (my bank) refunding me based on my assertion that Curve changed the effective card, the merchant has re-charged me.

It’s as if the GBIT hasn’t registered with the merchant.

Hi Graham :wave:

When you move a transaction from one payment card to another with GBIT, the payment on the original payment card is refunded straight away.

Your bank statement can often be a little bit slower to update, but you should see the refund appear in your original payment card account within 1 - 5 business days. If you did the GBIT very quickly after making the transaction initially, sometimes instead of a refund you’ll instead see the original card drop off your bank statement.

If it’s been this amount of time and you haven’t seen the refund come back, get in touch with our support team at support@curve.app with the info about the transaction in question and they can investigate it further for you :male_detective:

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks Herman, I’ve past more information to them so I’ll be keen for a resolution.

Update @Curve_Herman.

If the merchant has again claimed the funds from my originating account, would this mean the GBIT transaction hasn’t gone through?

As a point of general clarification, can Curve detect that?

Hey @Graham

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying the merchant has sent through another transaction capturing the funds?

I would advise sending an email through to support@curve.app, our support team should be able to look into your account and give you an answer on what might be going on. :thinking:

My problem is now fixed. I’ve been re-credited having been charged twice.

My question is around why.

The chain of events:

1. I make a purchase using my bank as primary card
  2. I initiate GBIT to my business card
  3. Following day (still no normal refund at this point) I approach my bank and they refund me
  4. Merchant reclaims those funds again.

It’s as if GBIT hadn’t been recognised. What happens when the GBIT transaction is initiated and how might it fail this way?

Right now, for me, it’s a confidence thing…

When I use GBIT I find it takes quite a few days for the refund to show up - I wouldn’t have expected by the next day in step 3?

And yet I’d had three others refunded immediately that same day. I did them one after the other.

Edit: Perhaps I’ve just been lucky. Useful to get an alternative experience though. Thanks @ediflyer

1 Like

Yes, I’ve done a GBIT on the same day on 02 October 2018 and 17 May 2019 (you can keep track of this info if you enable ‘send email receipts’ for each card within the Curve app). I remember the transactions appearing in pending transactions on the original card used, however, they never made it to recent transactions or the monthly statement (They just dropped off pending transactions after a few days).

The timings of the original transaction and GBIT were:

1. Original transaction = 02 Oct 2018 20:46 ------> GBIT done at = 02 Oct 2018 21:01
  2. Original transaction = 17 May 2019 09:15 -----> GBIT done at = 17 May 2019 13:08

So going by the above, around 4 hours from original transaction is okay. Don’t know if original transaction would have dropped off if I had done GBIT 12 hours later (or even 5 hours later for that matter). Perhaps everyone can share their experience with this.

Hi @Graham and @parity GBIT transactions are refunded straight away but they can take up to 5 working days to be reflected in your underlying bank account depending on your card issuer.

If you ever have concerns about a refund from a GBIT transaction, please get in touch with the support team at support@curveapp. They will be able to look into the specific transaction for you and provide more insight :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve not encountered any issues with GBIT as yet. If I do, I will keep this solution to hand. :relaxed: