Discover Curve: Credit Cards Vs Bank Cards: All You Need To Know

Well ok but it doesn’t explain why some of the bank cards are not accepted by Curve…
Lydia was accepted and suddenly we are unable to add new ones and the support does not explain the reason…

Apart from the fact that only MasterCard and Visa cards can be used, cards that are considered to be Prepaid cards, which includes almost all of the fintech/‘online’ new banks, are not supported by Curve until they are individually added.

Some banks have in the past also randomly stopped allowing Curve for their own, usually misguided reasons.

The best thing to do is to post here with details of the card you’re trying to add, including it’s BIN (the first six digits of the card number). If the BIN needs to be approved by Curve, this needs to be requested through customer services and can take a little while.

1 Like

It doesn’t really explain much at all. It seems this whole “discover Curve” site is mostly designed so that Curve appears in search results when people are trying to find information about cards.

1 Like

You’re right. Now I’ve looked at it, it is rather a waste of time article.

To start with - Bank Card? I’ve never heard that term before! They are Debit Cards…

In any case it’s not a great comparison and other sites do a much better job. Would it not be a hundred times better to have an article that properly explains the difference between Credit/Debit (‘normal’ payment cards) and Curve Card?

1 Like

Happy to bring forward your feedback - what do you think is missing? :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of bank cards way before debit, credit, and prepaid cards. Bank cards are used as an umbrella term for cards issued by banks and are connected to an account.

It’s great that you have more information to add to the conversation @andyk, perhaps you could link to the site you are referencing?

1 Like

I wasn’t particularly referring to a specific one, but for example this one from the Money Advice Service gives a very good plain English description of the fundamental differences:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Your article, to be fair, does have the additional information on rewards and chargeback. It’s difficult though, because most people don’t properly understand credit cards and particularly credit card reward schemes and one article isn’t enough to educate people to be able to use them properly.

Chargeback is also a well misunderstood system because it is quite limited in what protection it can provide in many cases.

Had never heard of a “bank card” also :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For this particular article, for example, it says that “There are often charges of interest on purchases and balance transfers.” However there’s no explanation that on a credit card, if you pay it off in full each month you don’t pay interest. It also doesn’t explain what a balance transfer is, and doesn’t even mention money transfers.

Under “protection”, it just has a tick and “Section 75” for credit card and “Chargeback” for Bank Card with no further explanation. If someone doesn’t know the difference between a Credit Card and a Bank Card, they’re surely extremely unlikely to know what Section 75 or Chargeback are. Putting that there is therefore useless at best, and misleading at worst (as it implies that Section 75 and Chargeback provide equivalent protection).

Never mind that chargeback is in fact not available for all “bank” cards - this is down to the card network (Visa/Mastercard), and given that the article specifically talks about bank cards (and is not just for the UK) and not just Visa/Mastercard debit cards, it seems like an oversight. If you make a purchase using your bank card on a domestic debit card network (even if your card is co-branded with VI/MC), you probably won’t be covered.

My comment though was more that these articles (not just this specific one) don’t seem to be designed to actually provide in-depth information about financial products, but simply to push Curve up the search results when people search for things like “credit card”. They come across like they were written by someone who was told to write as many articles as possible in a day with the words “credit card” in them, rather than someone genuinely trying to provide a useful financial resource.

3 Likes

In the Netherlands almost everyone says ‘bankkaart’ (Bank Card) or ‘bankpas(je)’ when referring to their Maestro/V PAY card.

So over here the term is indeed used as the umbrella term, @Curve_Marie is referring to.

If we’re going by what everyone says in each country, here in Portugal every debit card is a “Multibanco” and every credit card is a “Visa” :wink:

What it’s actually meant by Multibanco is a card that runs on the Multibanco scheme and they can be debit or credit and by Visa what’s meant is everything else that doesn’t have Multibanco, be it debit or credit. Sometimes “credit card” is also used to mean everything else that doesn’t support Multibanco, be it credit or debit.

In sum, my Curve card here in Portugal is both a “Visa” as well as a “credit card”

Funny that a (Curve) MasterCard is called a Visa :slightly_smiling_face:.

In the Netherlands we (also) have the strange habit to call every card, that has MasterCard or Visa on it, a credit card, where it of course also can be a debit card (or prepaid card).

Ditto, only aware of them being called debit cards myself! I presumed target audience was UK with S75 mention so would probably have gone with debit card!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lydia support not working anymore