Debit-Fronted Credit - Using Curve where credit cards aren't accepted or has a fee

It’s now been over a month. When can we expect a response to these points?

@jph @NFH and anyone else who’s interested -

It doesn’t look like Curve are going to do any more than clarify the terms of this very bad idea™ here on the forum. I’m drafting a letter of complaint (to go on an actual piece of paper) to send to Shachar Bialick asking him personally to reconsider this vey bad idea™.

Unlike a post on a forum, Curve is legally required to respond to these complaints so at least we’ll hear something back rather than being ignored. Good points have been raised by long-standing Curve users and they deserve a response.

I’ll certainly give up my commercial card (if not Curve altogether) if they don’t move on this. PM me if you’d like to look at my letter / would consider sending your own and/or would let me add your name/email to mine - multiple users complaining will of course give the complaint more weight.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I’d be grateful if you would consider adding the following to your letter:

Does Curve think its communications about the change in its privacy policy meet the requirements of GDPR/Data Protection Act 2018?

I originally mentioned this briefly in post 141 but I don’t think Curve’s communication does.

Curve’s email said

Changes to privacy?
Yes, we’re updating our privacy policy to explain how we share data with other companies. This is so that we can create more amazing features, and tell you all about them. This will come into effect in 15 days, on December 10, 2019.

Specifically, I don’t believe the above notification complies with the Guidelines on Transparency under Regulation 2016/679 which regulators including the ICO use to confirm whether firms are complying with the requirements of the GDPR to inform consumers of changes - including that changes such as Curve plan - must be communicated in a way that is easily accessible and easy to understand using clear and plain language.

i.e:

• “the method used to bring the changes to the data subject’s attention should be explicit and effective” (i.e. not hidden at the bottom of a longer email with no link to the old or new policy + having removed the old policy - making comparisons impossible - and not supplying any specific information on the changes themselves )

• Language qualifiers such as “may”, “might”, “some”, “often” and “possible” should be
    avoided in privacy policies;

etc. etc…

1 Like

Over 5,000 of you have made multiple HMRC payments using Curve with an average spend of over £6,000 - that’s a lot of taxes!

Would be useful to know how many customers made only one payment.

Did you hear anything on this in the end? :slight_smile: