Debit-Fronted Credit - Using Curve where credit cards aren't accepted or has a fee

Curve Black also has subscription having to pay every month. Why can Curve not make this HMRC payments free for Curve Black as well?

1 Like

Because they decided not to?

1 Like

Because metal needs every little helping hand it can get.

:thinking:

Debit-Fronted Credit - Using Curve where credit cards aren’t accepted or has a fee

I can’t remember seeing the part in bold in the topic title the first time the topic appeared. So looks like it is added later? But no adjustments seem to be made to the FAQ pages. Especially on this page I would have expected an addition/adjustment.
I suppose the part that has been added to the title is referring to commercial credit cards?

Can’t see why they are going to target DVLA in the future. I mean, most transactions are done from home on a PC when renewing road tax etc. so I won’t exactly have to worry about carrying cards around. All my cards are at home, I’m at home, so I will pick the most appropriate card, probably Amex to pay for my road tax.

If Curve carries on this way, I will err on the side of caution and use other cards on a regular basis and keep the Curve card back for emergencies, or convenience when I go swimming and don’t want to risk leaving my main credit card in the locker.

C’mon Curve, get a grip. I suspect our American users are amused over the name Curve, especially considering the way you seem to be continually throwing ‘curve balls’ to make an otherwise usable card more difficult to use without incurring additional fees.

Because their new terms and conditions say they can apply it to ANY merchant - it’s just their FAQ that says it’s just HMRC at the moment. Unfortunately Curve has a long history of changing things rapidly and without warning for customers so people are not unreasonably concerned it’s HMRC today, everywhere tomorrow

5 Likes

Still no response to why the DVLA is included given it allows credit card use?

@Curve_Marie, do you have an answer on this important question yet?

Why not at least exempt from the new 1.5% fee all commercial cards issued before 25th November 2019?

1 Like

Probably because Curve like to pretend there’s no difference between the personal and commercial cards…

Recapping some of the OP as a refresher:

The debit-fronted credit service lets you pay with your credit card at places that only accept debit cards, or when paying with a credit card has a fee attached.

Any person who signs up to Curve after the 25th of November, 2019, the following charges apply when using a credit card as underlying payment card:

• For Curve Blue (free) and Curve Black customers (including Curve Black Legacy users): 1.5% of the total amount of the transaction.
  • For Curve Metal customers: no charges apply.

Initially, the service will apply to payments made to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). After the initial trial period with HMRC, other government payments such as National Savings & Investments, DVLA Vehicle Tax, and Student Loan Payments will be included as well.

These fees are currently for the payments to the HMRC, which is in the UK, using any credit card as a funding card. Using the Debit-Fronted Credit service is optional and you can naturally use your credit card directly if you think that’s the better option for you.

When the list of merchants is expanded and you see there is a fee, you can have the fee reversed by using GBIT (within 14 days of the original transaction) to put the payment from your underlying credit card to a debit card. If the transaction is over £1.000 you can reach out to Customer Support, who will help you.

But I assume this :point_down:t2: also still applies?

Yes, it does.

1 Like

@Curve_Marie, why does it apply to commercial cards issued before 25th November 2019?

The timeline refers to when you signed up with Curve. It’s not about when the card was issued.

@Curve_Marie, given that caps on interchange fees under Regulation (EU) 2015/751 do not apply to Curve commercial cards, and that Curve therefore already makes a significant profit on Curve commercial cards’ transactions, please could you explain why Curve intends to impose the 1.5% fee on Curve commercial cards, particularly for existing commercial customers?

Of course, if Curve imposes the new 1.5% fee on consumer cards and not on commercial cards, then many Curve consumer card holders will simply switch to commercial cards without having a genuine business to justify having a commercial card, which could put Curve in breach of MasterCard rules. The easy way for Curve to deal with this is to permanently exempt all Curve commercial customers existing before 25th November 2019 from the 1.5% fee. Then Curve will not alienate its oldest customers, all of whom had commercial cards when Curve launched in early 2016.

So I will clarify my question - why does Curve therefore not exempt from the new 1.5% fee all Curve commercial customers who signed up before 25th November 2019?

The DVLA takes credit cards (personal) dont they?

No, you do not need a business to have a commercial card. As an example N26 provides a business card for freelancers and they explicitly say it’s not intended for businesses and have explained that it’s fully within the rules

According to them there’s nothing MasterCard says forbidding the issuing of commercial cards to just about anyone though personal and commercial cards are intended for different market segments

A freelancer is a business, or in other words a professional user. A business does not need to be incorporated as a company. In the early days when Curve issued only commercial cards, Curve once challenged me to prove that some of my large transactions were genuinely for business purposes, because I had charged them to personal credit cards. Although I satisfied Curve when challenged, Curve would not have challenged me if there was not some problem using commercial cards for personal expenditure.

According to N26 MasterCard imposed no such obligation to not use commercial cards for personal use

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.