Curve Product Update September 2019

Curve Product Update September 2019

This is a short recap of what we are working on, what we have planned, and challenges we might have encountered. We’ll post the update every second Tuesday of the month!

Current projects:

• Peer to Peer Payment
  • Onboarding process
  • App redesign

Click here all monthly updates.

Peer to Peer Payment (Curve Send)

Onboarding
We are currently working on the ability to show the card details in the app. It will be rolled when we launch the new onboarding process. Seeing the details will require passcode/biometrics.

Outline:

• We are creating a virtual version of the Curve card so you’ll have your Curve card on your app before it arrives in the post. We will explore other use cases for the virtual card later on in separate projects.
  • The signup will also be changed from using your email to sign up and using your phone number instead.
  • New customers will be able to set up their own PIN as a part of the onboarding.
  • It will be possible to add shared payment cards onto other Curve accounts

Creating the virtual card is, unfortunately, taking some time. We are investigating alternative first steps.

App Redesign
The new profile is ready for Beta (iOS) and will be rolled out the next week(s). We will publish an article here on the community about all the changes that are behind the redesign :wrench::nerd_face:

9 Likes

Hey! Can you please remind me what “virtual card” would be like? Would it be a regular virtual cards, how people used to see them, like in Revolut app: where you can issue “additional” non-physical cards to your account, or it will be “virtual card” like with Monzo — basically just an image with details of your physical card?
If it would be the latter — have you considered not calling it “virtual card”? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: :thinking: yep, a clap for a better nomenclature

I understand “virtual card” as a different card number/ccv to use it in any transaction without having any physical card stamped with that number. Maybe permanent, maybe temporary or disposable… but it’s a different card.

If I just can see details of my same physical card in the app… yes, it’s useful, but that’s not a “virtual card” for me :slight_smile:

Sample use cases for that details online,

a) I’m a new user, just registered, my account is activated and my underlying card is ready, but I cannot commonly use it yet until the delivery process is completed and I get my physical card… Now I can use it online from minute one.

b) I’m a regular user but I don’t have my physical card right now or I’m too lazy to go to grab it. I can still buy online now if I get my card details in the app.

2 Likes

It’s a virtual representation of the card, not a tokenised payment card :slight_smile: What would you call it?

Correct! We’re all ears for a better description of the card if “virtual card” creates some confusion :smile:

1 Like

How about “Digital Card”? It’s basically a digital version of the physical card.

7 Likes

Just call it “virtual representation of your card”.
Yes, it’s more words, but with far less confusion. Try to google virtual card, and you’ll see why I’m so concerned about the naming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about “online image of your card”… you can think of it as a photo of your card you can see in the app.

Thanks for clarifying @Curve_Marie - the original terminology was definitely confusing as until I read your post above I thought it was a proper virtual card as per Revolut, etc. - I didn’t realise it was only an in-app representation of the physical card!

‘Your card details’ or ‘your card’ … it’s quite obvious what you can expect to see if you click it. There’s no need for ‘virtual’ or anything else. Revolut virtual cards are brilliant, but they are truly virtual cards.

When you click through, it should include the full card number, security code, expiry date. Also , make it possible to paste the numbers to apps via the press & hold function and then it’s seriously useful. The way Starling do it is spot on. Monzo is meh as no security code so immediately limited for certain transactions.

1 Like

Sorry to chime in and don’t take this a criticism but thought it’s worth a mention. I am very against putting a security code. The whole point of it is ‘card present’ check to make sure you have the card in front of you. Displaying the number in app is a big no no in my opinion as it defeats the whole purpose of it. If you must just remember it it’s 3 digits! (4 on Amex). Sometimes those 3 digits save you a lot of money and offer the last line of defence. There’s a reason online forms etc don’t remember it!
This might not be so much of an issue now that SCA is coming into force, how that will work with Curve will equally be interesting.
Sorry to hijack this thread little bit

Agree it’s card present but given that in app visibility requires you to get through app security it’s more secure than having a card with the risk of losing it! Though I happily take the point as to its original purpose!

1 Like

Would you not agree that if you have a digital version of the card in the app, that card is in fact in front of you?

The point is that it is not in front of someone else who would be acting fraudulently who without the security code could not use your card.

Surely having that in a secure app is actually safer than having it printed on the back of the same piece of plastic (or metal) that holds the full card number and the expiry date. If you loose that you report it lost/stolen and/or lock the card in the app. If you lose your phone, they can’t access the app anyway but you can simply log into the app on another device and lock the card. No need to report the card lost or stolen. I really can’t see any increased risk with this.

“Virtual card” makes it sound like it’s a different card to your physical one, where as in fact it’s just showing the same card details in-app. I would just say “showing card details in-app”, and not refer to a separate card of any sort.

1 Like

If this is effectively just a picture of the physical card as oppose to an additional virtual card, why call it anything?
The curve app already shows a picture of a card with just the last four digits and the expiry date visible.
Here you can also show PIN. Why not also have, show Number, show CVV.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, why is this changing?