Curve Product Update May 2019

This is the first of our monthly product development updates!

It will be a short recap on what we are working on, what we have planned, and challenges we might have encountered. After this post, we’ll post the update every second Tuesday of the month. This will hopefully be a more engaging and insightful approach than having the full Product Roadmap on display and writing updates when we are about to launch something ‘soon’ :wink:

Current projects:

• Rewards Programme
  • Peer to Peer Payment
  • Onboarding process
  • App redesign
  • Open Beta

Rewards Programme
We are preparing to launch into Beta. Once we’ve worked out the kinks it will be rolled out to all our customers.

Peer to Peer Payment
Phase 1: Be able to send from Curve account to Curve account.
Phase 2: Request from Curve account to Curve account.
When Phase 2 is completed it we will do a Beta before the full launch.

Onboarding
At this point, we are working on a demo that potential customers can try out before signing up to Curve. We are also creating virtual cards so you’ll have your Curve card on your app before it arrives in the post. The signup will also be changed from using your email to sign up and using your phone number instead.

App Redesign
We are redesigning the app for Android and iOS and would love to get your feedback: 1:1 Customer Feedback: New Curve App Design

Open Beta
This project is in its infant stage where we are mapping out the process. We’ll send out a direct invite to everyone who was on the original beta programme and the closed Curve Amex Beta Programme, in addition to sharing the signup form here on the community.

13 Likes

Great initiative, thanks @curve_marie :slight_smile:

Regarding the peer-to-peer payments, I’m curious how it will work. Will receiving money to your “Curve account” mean a stored balance similar to the Amex wallet? Or will the received funds be sent to one of your underlying cards as a “refund”?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Curve card balance

Marie - For those of us not in London can the app preview not be done by Webex? It seems unreasonable to limit this to those able to get to your London office

2 Likes

How long will the beta for the rewards programme last? Will it be a closed beta?

You could have said you’d launch with a beta, but I guess I should have expected it.

Thanks :smiley: I’ll check and will update this post when I have the answer.

Update: “Curve account” doesn’t mean wallet, and that’s all I’ve got for the moment :smile:

Not sure what you mean, could you elaborate? :sweat_smile:

The Beta will last until we work out the kinks :smirk: It will be for customers who are still/already using the Beta version of the apps :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Curve_Marie will you stream the 1:1 event in youtube? so people not in UK can view and ask in the chat?

1 Like

It wouldn’t be an “event”, as far as I understood: 16 customers will come to Curve’s office in separate time-slots and would be discussing the app with the team privately.

Yes, that’s correct :smiley: :+1:

Silly question I guess, but regarding Rewards, when you say “Once we’ve worked out the kinks it will be rolled out to all our customers.”, you mean all your Metal customers, right? Or Metal and Black customers, but not Blue ones?

Looks like it:

1 Like

@Curve_Marie This is what I’m on about. There’s no provision for those not in or able to get to London yet if this is 1:1 then it really could be done by Webex / Skype

1 Like

But legacy black holders get permanent 3% from about 30 retailers so it’s a step backwards.

Fab idea

https://www.webex.com/ - could use Skype or similar instead with screen sharing. Could be a good way for those of us not in London to help shape the plans :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update! It’s great to know what’s going on inside Curve. I have a few related questions and opinions.

First of all, I think that’s a really good decision, as SMS login is usually even simpler than e-mail Magic Links. However, while you’re working over this, I’d really want you to consider introducing two-factor authentication. Some users (me included) think that relying on one method of proving one’s identity is not enough and that’s why I suggest providing an option to activate extra log-in layers, such as:

1. both e-mail and SMS to log in,
  2. SMS code + PIN to log in.

That’s especially important as we’re dealing with money, after all. Moreover, I would also like to ask you to make sure the messages can be delivered to every country and that there is an option to call with a code instead of sending SMS in case it isn’t received (it can always happen because of network issues).

Two quick questions here.

1. Can you share any details about how it would work? I remember us being asked for possible solutions in this matter but I’m not sure if our feedback was even used.
  2. Is there going to be any way to join the beta as a non-UK customer? I’d be really happy to participate in testing, yet it usually is restricted to UK residents.

Are you planning on giving other forms of participating in the process other than visit in London? That’s quite a big deal to go there to some of us, but we’d love to help. I have a lot of ideas and it would be more efficient if I could be heard.

You cannot always rely on sms. One option but a second needs to rely on Internet only. There are too many places in the UK without mobile signal. Also when overseas.

Are the virtual cards for onboarding only? Or can I get one or more go use them like revolut does?

There will still be an introductory offer of 90 days cashback for new who sign up for Curve Blue :slight_smile:

Now I’m with you, thought you were referring to the demo on the onboading in the section above.

We will do this next time - we naturally need feedback from customers who represent the entire base, not just the ones who are based in London :slight_smile: As this is the first time we do a full day of in-depth customer feedback sessions, we want to make we create a solid process first. It will be easier to iterate the approach without adding the potential technical issues that seem to go hand-in-hand with video calls.

(Cc: @ediflyer, @Pawel)

We’ve taken this into consideration :+1:

That’s a great idea - I’ve forwarded it to the Product Team :slight_smile:

When developing features, we start out properly identifying the customer problem to be solved or the customer job to be completed before creating the solution, not the other way around. We’ve received fantastic feedback that definitely will be used! The steps mentioned are just the outline and the starting points of what P2P will be.

Yes, there will :smiley:

We are hiring! :wink: Please keep using the community to share your ideas, all of them are shared with the Product Team and we keep a close eye on the votes! There will be other 1:1 sessions that we can do via video conference. I also hope to see you sign up for Beta when it’s launched :smiley:

Good question, I’ll check :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Virtual cards generated for subscriptions etc. are necessary. I’m so disappointed that they aren’t on the current projects list :unamused:

1 Like