Curve Customer Protection for charging e-vehicle

I have made a claim for 12 unsuccessful e-vehicle charge events (no electricity delivered, but card charged anyways, with a total of approximately 100 EUR). I have provided the information requested by Curve 4 days ago.

Now Curve has become unresponsive. Customer service has been ignoring me since 4 days.

Aren’t I supposed to be refunded within 1 working day?

As I know with from other banks - (claims up to 45 days review) after refund proceed - up to 10 working days.

I think you’re right - Curve’s promise of 1 working day refunds is only for unrecognized transactions.

But in my case, I recognize the transactions; the problem is non-delivery, so, as you say, the 1-day promise probably does not apply here.

I am still wondering what “delivery notices” I would need for non-delivered electric charging. As far as I know, there is no “delivery notice”, neither upon successful charging nor upon unsuccessful charging.

From the Curve customer protection document: “#### Goods or Services Not Received - check for delivery notices
This is when you haven’t received goods or services as promised by the merchant. Please check your delivery notice before contacting Curve as we will need it as evidence.”

Actually, when continuing reading, I found this:

3. Process Refund
Once you get in touch with all of the above-required information, we’ll refund the amount of the transaction to your underlying card within 1 working day.”

It has been 4 working days since I have given all of the above-required information to Curve.
Still, I hear nothing from Curve.

Are they currently overwhelmed, or what is the excuse for not honoring the 1-working day promise?

Are you sure that the above is not just for unauthorised transactions?

Yes, I am - on https://www.curve.com/en/curve-customer-protection , they first list all cases where the protection kicks in, among them " Goods or Services Not Received". Then, under “How do I raise a claim”, they describe how to raise a claim for any of the cases listed above. As part of this description, they also make the promise “Once you get in touch with all of the above-required information, we’ll refund the amount of the transaction to your underlying card within 1 working day.”

In my case, instead of refunding the amount within 1 working day after I sent them the required information, Curve went completely silent and stopped communicating with me about the open ticket. It has been several days now, and Curve does not react to questions about the current state of the claim.

Well in that case all I can say is hold tight and they’ll get back to you soon. :+1:

I still haven’t heard back from Curve after sending them the requested documents on March 2, eight days ago.
Seems like the “Curve Customer Protection” does not really exist in practice - what a pity. I guess I will have to think about starting a chargeback process with the card issuer.

If you used a Curve card then Curve tell you not to do that. You’ll have to go through Curve.

Well, yes, I have done that more than a week ago, but Curve is apparently not working on my request.
So, I think I need to fall back to the normal chargeback process.

Whatever you choose to do please keep us informed. :+1:

will do!

Basically, so far I escalated from

• contacting the merchant, Innogy, who only told me that they were busy celebrating Rosenmontag but never commented on the substance, let alone committed to refunding the payments for which no services had been delivered,
  • when the merchant was unresponsive, contacting Curve, who opened a ticket but never reacted to me submitting the requested documentation,
  • and finally, after waiting a bit over a week for Curve, submitting chargeback requests for the various transactions with the card issuer (Paypal).
    Now I am waiting for what happens next.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble. I’m afraid this does seem to be the normal experience for Curve with any support issue - not just ones that require them to put their hand in their pocket. There are a lot of similar stories (often removed…) around this forum.

My impression is that people who are persistent do get their money back, so don’t give up. As @NFH pointed out (on a censored thread - thanks for the info, I didn’t manage to thank you before it was removed!) you have to wait 8 weeks (or for Curve to flat-out refuse to refund you / take the matter further) before you can take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

But do make it clear to Curve now that that’s what you’ll be doing. Even if they refund you today there’s potentially a case the Ombudsman should look into since Curve won’t have refunded you anything like as quickly as they promise - especially since Curve actively encourage you to give up protections on the basis what they claim to offer is equivalent.

That’s interesting. I’ve seen a pre charge of £6 on Ubitricity using Curve but the payment is always pending until I’ve finished my charge and the actual charging fee is calculated and processed. So to date I’ve not ‘lost’ any cash charging my car on PAYG chargers.

That’s how it should work. Unfortunately, with the Innogy charging network in Germany, they charge the card before even attempting to start a car charging session, and that card charge translated into the money actually disappearing - not just being reserved - on the underlying card. This is, by the way, not what their hotline promises. The Innogy hotline claims they only ever charge for successful charging sessions. But if that was true, I would have 100 EUR more on my account right now.

If you used your curve card, curve is the card issuer you have to make the chargeback request to.
Like it is said in the screenshot that @patrice58 posted, the request for chargeback will have to go through curve eventually and that can’t be avoided as they are the one that charged your underlying card and not the merchant directly.

The only thing your bank can do in that case would be to initiate a chargeback request against curve, that is if they can do anything at all.

1 Like

That sounds pretty scary.
I don’t remember signing away my rights with the underlying card issuer, though. So, a chargeback via the underlying issuer should be possible.
With Curve in the middle, the question arises: did I receive what I paid for? As far as my car is concerned: no, I didn’t, its battery remained just as empty as before the charging session. But Curve could claim that I received what I paid them for, namely, a payment to Innogy. That payment from Curve to Innogy actually happened as far as I can tell, so Curve could claim they delivered.

Anyways, my main problem is that Curve is not doing anything. Maybe being pushed from two sides - my initial customer protection claim from March 1, and the underlying card issuer’s dispute resolution process - will eventually convince Curve to do something.

In your position, I would file a claim with the underlying card company not on the basis of ‘I didn’t get the electricity I paid for’, but on the basis of ‘Curve are not fulfilling their obligations under their published customer protection policy’.

If you are sure you’ve supplied all the required information (see here and you’ve not had resolution within 1 working day (as promised) then Curve are not fulfilling their obligations under their own policy, and thus you may have a basis for a claim against Curve.

You basically did when you used your curve card. By using it, you agree to abide by Curve’s T&C.

Curve even states in their page on the Customer Protection that " You should contact Curve and not your underlying payment card issuer. If you have contacted your underlying card issuer, this protection will no longer apply."

Try to contact Curve again and see what they have to say and if they can give you any progress on your case.

2 Likes

I cannot change my contract between myself and the underlying card issuer by dealing with a third party (Curve).

As you write, I waived the Curve Customer Protection (“this protection”) once I raised a claim with the underlying card issuer. Since Curve does not honor its commitment (refund within 1 day after receiving the required documents), the Curve Customer Protection is nearly worthless anyways, and by waiving it, I am not actually losing anything. My protection under my contract with the underlying card issuer should be unaffected by this.