Curve and X Pay

This is a dedicated open topic on Curve and Google/Samsung/Apple Pay :smiley:

Specific topics:

1 Like

Maybe there are cost implications (it’s cheaper) for Curve to use this business model for ApplePay? Possibly Curve will be charged a lower fee from Apple if the underlying card is being used for ApplePay?

Just speculating.

This is very plausible. However, it doesn’t mean that Curve shouldn’t support Apple Pay where the underlying card does not support Apple Pay.

2 Likes

My bank cards do not have Apple Pay, so if Curve requires that, I just have to keep using Revolut.
Since my bank has 0% FX and does not have weekend %, if they start having Apple Pay I will just use them, why to bother using Curve.

So I think the best move to implement it is not to require underlying cards to support Apple Pay, otherwise for many people will be useless :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree. One of Curve’s big selling points could be to use Apple Pay with underlying cards whose card issuers are too lazy to implement Apple Pay. Curve needs to turn this into a unique selling point rather than avoiding the functionality.

2 Likes

Thank you @Curve_Marie. That makes perfect sense. Curve allows to add nearly all VISA and Mastercard cards for convenience while Apple (+ Google + Samsung) only work with participating banks but in turn allow earning rewards / get cashback with some retailers. Those are two different - and competing - ideas. This is a classic format war. Trying to merge them without opening mobile payments to all card issuers make very little sense, IMHO.

1 Like

Does Apple Pay support commercial pre-paid cards (with their higher interchange fees)?

They are indeed different ideas, but not competing. They are independent and not mutually exclusive.

You have missed my last two sentences:

This is a classic format war. Trying to merge them without opening mobile payments to all card issuers make very little sense, IMHO.

That by a huge amount of effort Curve may be able to add functionality that already exist on “different but not competing” platform only proves my point. Even @Curve_Marie has a problem to explain what’s the point:

Because Curve gives you benefits such as access to 0% FX, GBiT, and more depending on the tier you are on.

If you try to adapt to a “different but not competing” idea at great cost yours may be in trouble. Curve’s strongest point is the ability to solve the acceptance problem.

1 Like

I disagree that there’s any format war, as the two concepts are not mutually exclusive and can co-exist. Please explain why you say this, not by making high level statements but with low level examples.

I disagree that there’s any format war, as the two concepts are not mutually exclusive and can co-exist. Please explain why you say this, not by making high level statements but with low level examples.

Because Apple does not allow Curve to use Apple Pay with all issuers.

In many consumers minds they will be. Several people I told about Curve didn’t see the point as they already just carry one card as a backup and can use any other of their cards with Apple Pay.

Sure, there’s differences (eg. Curve supports more cards, Apple Pay allows you collect card/retailer specific rewards), but for many people there’s not enough differentiation to justify having both.

Yes, we know that. I can load my Revolut balance using a credit card that doesn’t support Apple Pay, and then spend that money via Apple Pay. I should be able to do the same with Curve, except that the money is charged to the underlying card at the time of the transaction. It should make no difference to Apple whether the money charged to the underlying card at the time of the transaction or some time beforehand.

2 Likes

Really? I’ve never come across this. The rewards from the card issuer are the same whether using a physical card or an Apple Pay card.

Yeah, exactly. So using Apple Pay you get the same rewards as if you used your physical card, where as with Curve you don’t. Both products have advantages. Are they enough for your average Joe to have both? In my opinion, probably not (at the moment at least).

1 Like

From this blog post:

“And how can we forget the integration with Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Google Pay which we have started and aim to complete by the end of Q4 this year.”

1 Like

It’s really sad to see that it takes so long. Every bank of my underlying cards already support Google pay! And we’re talking about banks who don’t even have a native app, only web based mobile view. So Curve being one of the latest to support mobile payment

3 Likes