Current Curve Black cardholders: Subscriptions and Grandfathering

subscription

Hi Manu, can you pls comment what the potential gripes are with current issuers?

Many thanks.

You can opt-out of subscription (including insurance) and become grandfathered. There’s more information about it in the original post.

Can you please let me know the procedure? Is it self serve or need to contact support ?

Customers Support will help you out :slight_smile:

cc: @Index2142

Sure. Following is my initial thoughts (i am not an insurance expert) but I had asked my friend who oversee insurance underwriting to give me more educated feedback.

As per the eligibility clause of the current insurance provided below, the insurance becomes valid as long as you are a curve Black / Metal cardholder (which I am)

1. ELIGIBILITY

The benefits summarised in this document are dependent upon you being a valid Curve Cardholder at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim. Curve will give you notice if there are any material changes to these terms and conditions or if the Policy
supporting the benefits available under this agreement is cancelled or expires without renewal on equivalent terms.
This is your benefit guide and agreement with us. It contains details of benefits, conditions and exclusions relating to Curve Cardholders and is the basis on which all claims you make will be settled.

Further the following verbiage

17. We have the right, if we choose, in your name but at our expense to:
 - take over the settlement of any claim;
 - take legal action in your name to get compensation from anyone else for our own benefit or to get back from anyone
 else any payments that have already been made;
 - take any action to get back any lost property or property believed to be lost.

I don’t want to give Curve the right to take over the settlement of any claims as I will have other insurers who act on my behalf. With this verbiage, I expect potential conflicts as Curve can unilaterally act on my behalf for any claim.

Thank you very much for this. It is my understanding, though I’m no legal expert, that this applies in the case you file an insurance claim with AXA Travel Insurance (via Curve) in which case it would be assumed you wouldn’t do it with other insurers.

If you have several insurance policies, you’ll need to choose which one you file your hypothetical claim with. If you choose your other insurance, Curve will not find out and therefore we wouldn’t be able to take over your claim (and we wouldn’t want to).

Feel free to let me know if I’m missing something.

A

Well, the verbiage is not very clear. And I have read many insurance policies (i am someone who likes reading Ts &Cs and this verbiage is not something that’s common - at least for me)

The complexity here is - as per the eligibility clause, as long as I am a Curve Black client - I become eligible for all the insurance & thus becomes a potential beneficiary. Suppose, I have another insurer - I become obliged to inform them of the rights Curve has.

Further, the insurance Curve provides is a Secondary insurance

Your insurance policy is a secondary insurance. If you have any other insurance you must claim off of the first insurance
    policy, indemnity, warranty or any other source for any claim up to the policy limit. Once this has been reached we will start our
    insurance cover. We will not cover any costs where there is another insurance policy, indemnity, warranty, or health insurer or
    any other source covering the same loss, damage, expense or liability (not applicable to Section I – Personal Accident).

Thus as long as I have another insurer, I need to go with them FIRST making the offering obsolete in someway.
With this, when I contact my primary issuer and when I let them know of another party who have potential claim rights - the whole process becomes complicated.

As both are businesses - from my experience, both insurers will take their own sweet time citing “we are under discussion with alternate insurers to come at a consensus on how to settle this claim”. And entire settlement will get delayed…

Additionally as per the document

How do I cancel the contract?

These benefits are included with your covered card; the benefits cannot be cancelled separately. If you cancel the covered card the cover will end and all benefits will stop.

COVERED CARD

a Black or Metal card, issued by Curve, the card being valid, activated, and the account
balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardholder agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim.

What do you mean by account balance having been paid ?? This is not a credit card - so what does that verbiage mean ??

If “account balance having been paid in accordance” is irrelevant - there is no way for the insurance to be excluded. atleast as per the current Ts & Cs @Curve_Marie

Being covered by multiple insurance companies can certainly complicate claims. There should definitely be a way to opt out of the “travel insurance” without having to unsubscribe from metal (even if you don’t get back any money back for doing so).

You’ll find most insurance policies have this clause and it concerns subrogation where another party is at fault. In the case of dual insurance, you can either claim a proportion of the claim from each, or claim against one and they will seek a recovery from the other based on their independent liability. This situation regularly happens with insurance and there is an established process in law.

Agreed but as a client, I need not bother.

Ie, almost all baggage insurance is secondary as the primary insurer is the operating carrier’s insurance.

But, if I claim luggage delay or lost luggage with Amex or any other issuers (in my experience) - I never need to explicitly “Claim” it by myself. I just need to call in Amex’s insurer or likewise and they will sort it out provided I get a luggage missing certificate from Airline.

Amex’s or similar insurer process my claim on priority and reimburse me usually in a week or so and they sort “primary vs secondary claim recovery” within themselves - as a client I need not bother about it.

If you have any other insurance you must claim off of the first insurance policy, indemnity, warranty or any other source for any claim up to the policy limit

This verbiage is what makes it complicated. As per this, the onus is on the client to first claim against the primary issuer and to do follow up.

PS: I am not a laywer :slight_smile:

This clause is just saying the Curve policy is a contingent cover. If you personally have another policy in place that covers the loss, you must claim under the other policy first. The curve policy will only apply once you’ve exhausted the other policy limits under your other policy. This is quite standard, and as both Amex and the Curve travel cover is underwritten by axa, it’s highly likely the claims will be dealt with by the same claims team anyway.

Thanks, it helps :slight_smile:

Can you also comment on

These benefits are included with your covered card; the benefits cannot be cancelled separately. If you cancel the covered card the cover will end and all benefits will stop.
a Black or Metal card, issued by Curve, the card being valid, activated, and the account
balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardholder agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim.

I am looking for a way to get myself out of this insurance as I personally don’t find it to provide any additional value.

I’m also not interested in the subscription model and will just go for the ‘grandfathered’ black card option.
Sorry it’s probably best for curve to answer if you wanted the metal card without the insurance benefits. I don’t think you can have one without the other by the sounds of it.
It is all quite confusing. I thought I was a beta tester but my mother has been able to download the app and upgrade if she wishes so is it now open to everyone?

What about cashback period with new black and metal card?
Will be valid only for 3 months as well or unlimited?

I am an early Curve user (old Amex days before the pause fiasco) and is no way interested in Metal. I am not a beta tester myself but the recent app update forced everyone to the subscription tier (they call it public beta). Details here Upgraded IOS App Now 2 Cards Need Verifying

There is no reference of Beta anywhere in the app and it says Free - Curve Black with 1000GBP Amex.

I got an invitation email to be a beta tester on 25/1 and downloaded the app via TestFlight. I have no idea if I’m getting 6 months to test or the free 3 months mentioned by Curve.
No interest for metal or a subscription model with me and they have said you can cancel the insurance and retain the legacy black benefits but this means a fee for Amex. I’ve had my curve a long time and remember when Amex was included too.

It’s 3 months from the activation of your first curve card. So if you’ve already had a card for 3 months before upgrading, you don’t benefit from it at all

Hi, I just updated my iOS app, and upon opening the app I was sent some insurance documents - note, I didn’t opt in to anything.

I don’t want to be part of the subscription, and I just want to keep my existing Curve Black card with its old benefits without paying a monthly fee.

Surely I need to opt-in to a subscription, and not have to opt-out? What do I need to do?

I tried to upgrade to Metal, prompted to confirm which card to debit. Then said unable to upgrade account, yet took the money from the card I used. Check my subs, and not been upgraded.

Sent support request.

Anyone else had this?

I upgraded to 3.0.1 and want to make sure I didn’t accidently opt-in to the new subscription model. Is there any way I can opt-out or check that I’m on the grandfathered Curve Black plan?