Currency exchange rate

Can we have a currency exchange feature in the app ?

Similar to Revolut?

Could be

Can you describe what you’re looking for?

A currency rate in the app
To have a converter with the rate we are paying with

Would be useful for travel to add a timer in the app to know then the market are closed and a weekend markup is added
To pay with a card with better rate in the weekend

2 Likes

Hi Hup,

This a very good suggestion and we will pass this onto our team.

Until we have better visibility of this in the app, the rule of thumb to follow is that the FX markets shut at Friday 11:59pm GMT and reopen at 00:01 GMT on Monday morning.

If you are travelling over the weekend & have a better rate on another of your cards, use whatever works best for you & saves you the most money :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s not true. The FX markets are theoretically open 24x7, but there’s usually no liquidity between Friday 17:00 New York time and Monday 07:00 Auckland time. The liquidity times are never based on GMT, because 17:00 NY is either 21:00 GMT or 22:00 GMT depending on the time of year, and 07:00 Auckland is either 18:00 GMT or 19:00 GMT depending on the time of year.

This would be huge!
Because it kind of a lucky game, than you can the the exchange rate only after you pay :smiley:

So probably the conditions for the weekend surcharge should be defined in relation to the real reason (activity in FX markets or fixed hours, depending on how Curve really does).
Also the status should be reported clearly in the app including how much time left to its change, to avoid transactions just before status change.

I was trying to explain that a rule of thumb is that over the weekend, the Curve rate is set at the rate of Friday 23:59 & the rate won’t change until Monday 00:00. I stated GMT as this is what is written in our Terms of Service:

In case of withdrawals or purchases over the weekend where the currency of the selected Payment Card is different to the currency of the spend, as the Forex markets are closed, we take the rate of last days the market were open (in most cases Friday :23:59 GMT) and apply a surcharge.

We don’t want our customers to have to start negotiating timezones and theoretical currency conversion scenarios, as this is the direct opposite of simplifying one’s spend. I was trying to find the easiest solution for the issue that @hup presented, until we have an improved FX interface within the app.

1 Like

In terms of London time, Friday 23:59 GMT is Saturday 00:59 BST (almost 1am), and Monday 00:00 GMT is Monday 01:00 BST. Why would this be configured in GMT, given that no event in the FX markets occurs at a fixed GMT time?

I’m don’t know just telling you what I understand from the information I have, as they are written in our Terms of Service. @diego_curve - could you help share any light on this?

I understand what you’re trying to get across here… The time of the closure is of course reflective of the seasonal time change and is not locked to the ‘GMT’ 23:59pm, if we are in BST. We thought that this would be understood, but we will pass this feedback onto our team.

@Curve_Ivo, so during which of the following periods does Curve apply a weekend surcharge?

1. Friday 23:59 GMT to Sunday 23:59 GMT
  2. Friday 23:59 BST to Sunday 23:59 BST
  3. Friday 23:59 London time to Sunday 23:59 London time
1 Like

Yes, i don’t understand it either
I had made a payment on monday after midnight UK time 00:06
And it look like i was charged a weekend markup

That points to it being based on midnight GMT rather than midnight UK time.

Not what curve is telling on there support site

On weekends, which we count as Friday 23:59 - Sunday 23:59, the UK foreign exchange markets are closed. During this time, we take the rate from Friday 23:59 and charge an additional 0.5% for all transactions made in GBP, EUR and USD and 1.5% for all other supported currencies.

@hup, the issue here is that Curve is doesn’t specify the time zone of these times, which could be:

• GMT
  • BST
  • UK time (varying between GMT and BST)

@Curve_Ivo, please could you advise.

1 Like

Our surcharge would apply during the first option, all times are in GMT. I’ve passed on the feedback to get the time zone stated on our FAQs and website :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Weird
We are a company in london, we dont use london standard time
We are using the interchange rate, but not the time

And
UK foreign exchange, but different opening hours?

Revolut is from london too, are use UK foreign exchange, too, but not the same time
So confusing

I have a hard time understand this