Coronavirus Guidance (AXA)

Many of you have probably already received this info via our Support Team. This information was last updated on Friday 13 March 2020. To the best of our knowledge, the information below is full and correct as of that date.

With cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) being diagnosed in various countries, customers have been calling us to understand how their travel insurance is impacted.

You should monitor the situation through official sources such as:

FAQS:

If I book a holiday now, does it cover me for coronavirus?

If you book a holiday now, your policy will not cover any trip cancellation under ‘Section B – Cancellation or Curtailment’ in relation to Coronavirus.

Which countries are affected?

The outbreak started in the Chinese province of Hubei and many countries have reported cases. A situation update is available from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

My government is advising against travelling to my destination. What should I do?

You should contact your airline or travel provider to postpone your trip or arrange a refund. Only after that can you claim on your travel insurance for unrecovered costs, if your holiday was booked (and policy taken up) prior to the WHO declaration on March 11th.

Please note: If your government advises against all travel, you will not be covered if you do choose to travel. If your government advises against all but essential travel, you will only be covered if your travel is essential.

I am travelling to a sports event/concert/theme park but it is cancelled or closed because of coronavirus. Can I cancel my trip?

There is no cover to cancel a trip due to the event which you were due to attend is no longer going ahead.

Am I covered if I contract coronavirus on holiday?

If you become ill while on holiday, your travel insurance covers your medical expenses abroad –unless you travelled to a location the local government agency advised against.

If I’m quarantined in a hotel, do I have to pay for the room?

If you are confined to your hotel under doctor’s orders for at least 48 hours, we will pay for the room, up to the policy limit. And if you paid in advance for excursions or activities that you can’t do because of your quarantine, we will cover that, up to a certain amount.

What if I miss my flight because of quarantine?

If your airline or travel provider cannot book you on a later flight, we will cover the reasonable additional cost of an alternate flight.

I’m at a location where my government has advised against all travel and I need to come home earlier than planned. Am I covered?

First, please speak to your tour operator. However, as long as your local government’s advice wasn’t in place when you booked your trip or travelled, we’ll cover your reasonable additional costs to come home early.

I’m due to travel to a country where there have been some cases of coronavirus. Am I covered if I cancel my trip?

At the moment, you’re only covered if you’re travelling in the next 28 days to a destination where your local government has advised against all travel or all but essential travel, and the advice wasn’t already in place when you booked your trip or took up your policy.

Otherwise, you aren’t covered if you’d like to cancel your trip.

I’m due to travel in a few months' time, and there's currently a governmental advisory notice against all but essential travel for my destination. Can I cancel now, or should I wait until my trip to see if the advice is the same?

You’re not covered if you cancel your trip more than 28 days before you’re due to travel. If you booked your trip before the governmental advice came into effect and this advice is still in place within 28 days of your trip starting, you’ll be covered if you need to cancel it.

I have a medical condition and I'm worried that I may be vulnerable to coronavirus. Am I covered if I cancel my trip?

We’ll always look at each individual circumstance, but generally speaking, if your government hasn’t advised against travel, then you won’t be covered.

If I take up a travel insurance policy now, does it cover me for coronavirus?

Now that the World Health Organisation has declared a pandemic, the travel insurance on any new Black/Metal cards taken up from now will not cover any trip cancellation under ‘Section B – Cancellation or Curtailment’ in relation to Coronavirus.

I’ve been trying to speak to your travel insurance call centre - why do I have to wait for someone to pick up the phone?

Our customer service and claims colleagues are experiencing higher volumes than usual. Please bear with us.

4 Likes

Please redirect any queries to AXA, or visit AXA’s website here: https://www.axa.co.uk/disruption/#coronavirus

2 Likes