Car Rental Insurance

With the car rental insurance included with the Curve metal card do you have to pay for the car rental with the curve card, or can I continue to pay directly with my credit card.

Also, assuming the car already comes with cdw but has a hefty £ 1000 excess, would the policy cover the excess (or all the damage) should it be needed.

I have just a one-night rental at the weekend and balk at having to pay Hertz £ 26 a day to have their “super-cover” to remove that excess when renting a Vauxhall Astra!

It would be great if the Curve policy covered the excess (or the whole rental), and I could still use my credit card to avoid the pre-auths they put on debit cards.

Thanks

Hey @ukwizard :wave: My apologies for the delay in replying to you. I can confirm that you do not have to pay for your rental insurance with your Curve card to benefit from it. The insurance covers the person, not the card.
However, for any questions regarding the excess, we do recommend getting in contact directly with AXA as they will be able to provide more information on this subject :slight_smile: You can give them a quick call at the following numbers: UK (Black): +44 (0) 203 887 29 48’ UK (Metal): +44 (0) 203 887 29 49

It’d be great if this insurance could be extended to not just cover the CDW excess, but also any recovery charges the rental company might make for a breakdown.

It’s often included in the rental cars own insurance, so I always decline it because Curve cover me for the CDW, but it exposes me to a risk of a breakdown and needing a tow car. If you take out AXA’s car excess cover directly it’s included.

@Curve_Aleca are you sure on that, the policy wording I have says
“Rental vehicles hired on a daily or weekly basis from an authorised rental agency or hire car firm, must be paid for in full with your covered card. This cover is limited to no more than 31 days. Collision Damage Waiver is only valid for rental vehicles rented and
driven whilst on a valid trip.”

1 Like

Same for me. And because Curve isn’t a credit card — in some cases it’s basically impossible to pay for the rent using Curve.

Hey @Curve_Aleca, can you please re-check it due to the comments above?

1 Like

And does the insurance also covers the carsharing excess as well?