Barclaycard aren't accepting Curve for repayments

@Curve_Marie I’ve just been advised by Barclaycard they will not accept my curve card for repayments of my Barclaycard.

Are you aware? Is this something you expect to see with other card suppliers?

1 Like
Barclaycard blocking curve
Barclaycard blocking curve

We started receiving messaged from our customers about his today. Our Head of Operations is on the case. I’ll write an update as soon as we know more.

2 Likes

It looks like it’s only for paying off Barclaycard with Curve rather than using Curve with Barclaycard as underlying payment card? (based on comments on Head for Points, haven’t had letter yet myself)

2 Likes

Can confirm, I have my Barclaycard attached and it is still working fine.

1 Like

Its only on payment NOT on use as an underlying card. The letter they sent me specifically names Curve Mastercard but then goes on to say that Barclayacard will not accept payment from ANY e-Wallet or other type of card which can be funded, directly or indirectly from a credit card.
The “indirectly” bit is quite interesting from a legal perspective, nice elastic term.
Annoying if you have three debit cards on your curve card though but then you can just add them to the Barclaycard App and pay direct.

I got my letter yesterday BTW.

1 Like

I’m surprised more credit cards haven’t done this to be honest. Curve are basically providing a way for people to circumvent the restrictions on paying off a credit card with another credit card.

3 Likes

Although you can already do that via balance transfers (a small number of which are at zero fee), so it’s not like they object to the concept when it suits them :wink:

3 Likes

I’m going slightly off-topic, but I have two questions:

1. Is there any problem using Curve with an underlying Barclaycard to pay off another credit card?
  2. When using Curve to pay off another credit card, does the underlying card see this as a money purchase transaction (which with some card issuers might have daily/weekly limits, might not earn points, might attract fees and might accrue immediate interest)?
  1. Someone else confirmed they can still use their Barclaycard as underlying card just fine.

2. Yes, you card will see a MCC 6012 transaction and deal with it appropriately. Some cards don’t do anything different with it, like the Halifax Clarity, which specifically states that cash transactions do not attract fees or interest from day 1. However, most cards do charge you as far as I know.

Yes, I saw that, but my question was more specific than that. I was asking about using Barclaycard as an underlying card on Curve, not in general, but specifically to pay off another credit card.

You say that most cards do charge you (i.e. treat this as a money purchase transaction). That’s not what I’ve read elsewhere. For example this Head For Points article about Revolut states that “Most credit card companies treat Revolut top-ups as a purchase” (as opposed to a money purchase). On the assumption that Revolut and credit card issuers (for receiving payments) all use the same MCC 6012 that you have helpfully quoted, then the same applies.

Yes, I saw that, but my question was more specific than that. I was asking about using Barclaycard as an underlying card on Curve, not in general, but specifically to pay off another credit card.

Ah sorry, I missed that. Unfortunately I don’t know.

On the assumption that Revolut and credit card issuers (for receiving payments) all use the same MCC 6012 that you have helpfully quoted, then the same applies.

Good point. Hopefully that is correct, because that opens up more possibilities such as using my Tandem card. There is another MCC code, number 4829, that gets used sometimes. Perhaps that is the code that is generally treated as cash transaction?

Oh well, ultimately it is down to the discretion of the card issuer, so nothing is ever 100% certain.

An alternative would be to open Starling, Monzo, possibly Loot, and now dozens current accounts, top them up with Curve, then use the attached debit cards to pay Barclaycard instead.

I just don’t see what the credit card providers can really do about this. Anyone with persistence is still going to get around this.

Because that enables you to have 0% interest for eternity. Every card gets 30-50 days of free credit before payment is due. You could cycle between 2 cards all the time.

2 Likes

But you could only do so up to the credit limit they’re willing to issue you with.

It seems that Barclaycard will no longer allow users to pay Barclaycard using curve.

Correct, you won’t be able to make your monthly Barclaycard payment using your Curve card but then this is common sense to prevent people using credit to pay credit.

In theory you can pay your entire balance using your curve assigned to your credit card which means each month all the spend would be new and you would be in a forever interest free cycle.

Barclaycard don’t have any plans to restrict Curve from genuine spends.

Non UK barclaycard user here. So just to clarify, up to now you were able to pay off the monthly statement from the credit card with another credit card? If so, WOW!
And yes, paying with Curve and using Barclaycard as underlying card would allow to do this infinite.

Yes, and you can still do this with non-Barclaycard credit cards. Curve’s Fair Use Policy says that

Curve does not allow you to pay off your credit card bills with an underlying credit card selected in the Curve app.

However this does not appear to be enforced, and many people apparently do it. I suspect Curve just put that in their fair use policy to stop credit card companies getting angry with them. If they actually wanted to block it, they certainly could - they blocked paying off credit card bills with Amex for the short time that Amex was available.

So this is a normal thing in the UK to do? Paying off cards with other cards? Doesn’t exist in Germany but would be really cool!

It’s totally normal to pay off a credit card with a debit card. Credit card companies will not let you pay off a credit card with another credit card though (other than a balance transfer), and will block the transaction. Curve allows you to circumvent this, as it is a debit card. It’s not surprising that Barclaycard are not happy with this circumvention - the surprising thing is that nobody else has blocked Curve yet.

3 Likes