ATM Withdrawals - Domestic and Foreign Fees Breakdown

atm
currency

Marie,
could you please specify the following:
some banks in Germany hand out Charge Cards that are labelled as “Visa Credit”.
Cash withdrawal is free worldwide; that is why the issue Visa.
Those are no native credit cards, the whole balance is due once a month.
Would Curve charge a fee when withdrawing with those?

Those are probably just considered credit cards. You cannot carry a balance from month to month but you’re still using a credit line

Hi, is there any official statement available?

Hello @didi,
The information in the original post is taken from our Terms of Service and Fair use Policy.

I meant regarding my previous question above.
The only answer was a speculation by a fellow user.

In this case you can contact customer support and tell them your Bank Identification Number (BIN) and they’ll let you know if it’s a credit card. (Cc @didi)

Hi Marie,
im case they just run a basic BIN - check,
the outcome for a VISA charge card issued by DKB (that is intended by the bank for marking worldwide cash withdrawals) would result in paying senseless fees.
The card would be treated like a genuine credit card that you are trying to prevent withdrawing money from.
The funny thing is, even genuine credit cards issued by Barclays in Germany are intended to make cash withdrawals with by the issuer, not charging any fees.

Charge card: whole balance is due at the end of the month and will debited from the account.
Credit card: the balance does not have to be paid, in that case one pays interests.

With the new fee schedule and those T&C regarding withdrawals curve ceases to be a Swiss army knife and becomes just another card.

As one has to carry a backup anyway, I will have to ask myself why would I want to bother carrying another card or even pay for it.

You bring up a very good point. I’ll check with the our Compliance and Product team to see how we could distinguish between the two cards in our system and Fair Use Policy.

There are credit cards here in Portugal that don’t charge any ATM fees and are meant to be used for ATM withdrawals. Why does curve have a blanket limit for credit cards when a lot of cards are meant to be used in that way?

Because it is what you said “a blanket limit” covering all credit cards rather than making distinctions between various types or sub-types. I’ve contacted my team members to see how we can go about this. Is the Portuguese card similar to the German Charge card?

No, they are regular credit cards, but have an optional monthly fee, usually 1€ that waives all fees traditionally associated with credit cards+ any fx fees, including ATM/cash advance and also add all kinds of insurances. Those cards that have the +1€ option are supposed to behave like debit cards. One example is the Cofidis card

A question, with the new updates can the underlying Amex card be used for ATM withdrawals presume It would show up as Curve at the bank as it’s in a wallet? :thinking:

No it’s explicitly excluded by the T&Cs (as posted by @poeliev below) - it doesn’t matter what the bank are seeing, Curve can see you’re using an ATM and block it (as I don’t think their agreement with Amex would permit it).

I know it says that in terms etc but with each new update things change.
e.g. only allowed 1 Amex card at the start of beta now you can have more. Just a question in hope more than anything. Cheers

Ah no probs - I think the 1 Amex was more a technical limitation whereas I suspect this is more a limit imposed by Amex so is less likely to change!

BTW I inquired the customer support about this and they replied sending me the terms and conditions. I doubt they read my request, and if they did, they seemed to have no clue what I was inquiring about.