Apple Pay - When?

Hopefully this hasn’t already been asked (apologies if it has)…when Apple Pay eventually goes live, will it be available to all Curve card holders or only those on a subscription?

Apple take a very small percentage (something like 0.15%) of each transaction that the customer makes. Apple doesn’t want the customer to pay for this, so I’d assume that Apple Pay would only start working on Curve on a subscription based plan… so that Curve can cover this small fee per transaction.

If that fee amount is indeed accurate then Curve only gets 0.05% for debit cards and 0.15% for credit cards. That’s not a small fee by any means!

Some more reading above, which highlights the costs… I’m not clued up on what percentage is high or not, apology for that. Seemed low for me…

1 Like

Hi @bells

The whole Apple Pay et al is discussed in some depth here…
Curve Black Legacy Migration Update

Thanks @Graham…I have written a few posts in that thread.

You may not have noticed, but I actually posted this question before the other thread was started. Not sure why I had a feeling that’s what they would do​:thinking:although in all fairness I expected Blue to be excluded as well so at least that’s something :grin:

Apple’s fee of 0.15% was quoted by the media when Apple Pay was first launched in the United States, where interchange fees are very high. Regulation (EU) 2015/751 has limited interchange fees in the European Economic Area to 0.3% for credit cards and to 0.2% for debit cards with effect from 8 June 2015. Given that 0.15% would be unworkable for EEA card issuers, I understand that Apple monetises Apple Pay in other ways in the EEA, perhaps levying a fee per card issued.

I believe that Apple takes a dim view of card issuers charging card holders for Apple Pay, directly or indirectly, and might even prohibit it.

@Curve_Ivo, now that almost two months have passed, please could you give us an update? Revolut will be launching Apple Pay in early June. Is Curve up to speed?

Here goes a brief update. TLDR: the team hopes to deliver Apple Pay in Q3, but it’s not set in stone.

2 Likes

So Revolut finally ran Apple Pay today. I really hope that Curve would be a bit faster than those guys, and we wouldn’t be required to wait 2 years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It didn’t last that long, did it…

You could try this:

some Reddit users in other European countries are reporting success at changing their iPhone region to the UK, adding the card and then reverting to their home country.

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/29/revolut-apple-pay/

1 Like

Well, in the morning I managed to add and use the card without changing my region. While it was reported that Polish-BIN cards were never accepted, both my cards were UK-bin Visas. The card got suspended by Revolut out of the blue in the afternoon. Now I cannot add it back no matter if I change the region or not. Thank you for your help, though. I hope that once Curve gets Apple Pay support this whole mad situation will be finally over.

BTW, I really don’t understand the way they implement stuff like that. Why would you disable something that works just fine?

Revolut didn’t want to get into trouble for giving Apple Pay to residents of countries where Apple Pay is not yet launched for local card issuers. Apple’s restriction in this respect is against the principles of the EU’s single market, but Apple nevertheless imposes it.

1 Like

Nothing says

more than three local cards in my Wallet app.

That’s actually really sad that the high street banks can manage to introduce Apple Pay faster and more efficiently than the global fintechs. On the top of that, Monese cards work in the entire Europe just fine.

Yes, I’m sure. But Revolut is treating all non-UK residents the same. It is not launching to residents outside the UK and France until late June 2019.

I’ve just checked some old e-mails and discovered that Curve’s delivery of Apple Pay is even more delayed than Revolut’s:

3 Likes

That’s awkward, but I think Curve learned their lesson about giving any specific deadlines. Moreover, Apple Pay is an especially tricky feature to implement.

have they? :wink::

2 Likes