Amex Blocks Curve in Anti-Competitive Move

Excellent post, @fwdlink :grin:

This is it. As you can see Marie wrote you need to pay the first month

At first glance I was weary of the subscription model proposed but could certainly see how I could make the metal version be worthwhile for me, especially for running all spend though amex. The prospect of having truly one card in my wallet was very very appealing.
With the loss of amex, I am not sure if I value my rewards enough on visa/mastercard’s to opt for any future subscription models. The blue card seems most appealing for HMRC and UK spend but the fx fees above £500 a month, makes it less useful for a family abroad for one to two weeks. I may be inclined to take my 0% fees post office card instead (also handy as there are two cards on one account)
Going forward, especially if a ‘fight is on with amex’, not sure if curve will revert back to the old black model, especially as any subscription package has uncertain future. I appreciate however that any business model has to stack up for the future

I’m wasn’t Curve Black, I was Curve Blue, I fall under the “Curve Beta” part which doesn’t say I need to pay for a month.

That also states you will pay for the first month if you choose Metal… I chose Black!

So you basically chose to upgrade to the new Curve Black.

The free months don’t apply to you as you were not Curve Black before the new subscriptions were launched. :woman_shrugging:t2:

It stated Curve Beta users were offered 6 months free Black.

It doesn’t say you needed to be Curve Black, just that you have to be a Curve Beta user (both me and my wife were) to get that free 6 months… nowhere does it say you needed Curve black as well.

See above/below for the wording they wrote.

"How many months of Metal or new Curve Black do I get?

All Beta testers from starting the Curve Amex Closed Beta Programme to the third wave, will be given 6 months of the new Curve Black or 4 Months of Metal."

“Beta Testers will be able try to the new Curve Black for 6 months for free or 4 months of Metal.”

Thanks - were you notified in app by Curve about this charge ?

I moved from black to black subscription and no charge yet (atleast no notifications yet)

Ah sorry for the confusion. I kinda thought that the above applied for everything.

In any case, Curve messed up pretty well

I stand corrected - I’ve asked for clarification on this in the January Launch FAQs topic.

Though given the absolute chaos this Amex thing has caused the Curve customer base this morning, I suspect the Curve team may take some time to respond to my little question :sweat_smile:

Really sad to discover this… upgraded to Metal on Friday. I think Curve is great and I will continue to support, even without Amex support although I’m gutted I won’t be able to get another 10,000 or so Amex points extra a month by paying some of my business suppliers with Curve (they only take MC/Visa)… still, that’s not Curve’s fault.

Really feeling for this great British start-up but you have my support and loyalty… keep on with the fight!

I think giving the wording, they cannot “easily” back-track without giving full refunds…

Looks like Curve needs to look at your request individually. Best in this case is to contact support directly. But keep in mind this will take some time, since they have swamped with requests and emails. We should really cut Curve some slack and give them some time to run their business. They do the best they can with replying to messages, I’m sure they’re pulling already night shifts.

Recent events have sent me searching through the American Express Cardmember Agreement and also the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions. Being familiar with the functionality of the Curve App, having added my Amex and completed a top-up I found this:

Perhaps someone else can advise whether Amex points are applied for the top-up as I’m not sure Curve is really a pre-paid card as such?

If the subscription service from Curve does not reflect the lack of Amex support, I will dump Curve. I know that Curve does not currently support Amex, but I don’t have to pay a subscription, so it is a good card to use day-to-day. However, charging £10 per month for the same service is excessive.

Curve confirmed this in the January Launch FAQs:

Albeit, AMEX top-ups are now disabled so :woman_shrugging:

Great! I’ll be interested to see what happens to points balance on the next Amex statement run! :thinking:

Also purchased Metal this week for the Amex functionality.
I’ve been a Black user since the beginning, so i’m now paying for something that was previously free.

Not much to gain aside from vanity at this stage now. Travel insurance I get via other cards, and Lounge Pass hasn’t launched yet.

Hoping Curve at least let us move back to the Black grandfathering and refund the Metal card issues whilst they figure out their subscription model.

So far, I have received Avios for my top-up on my BAPP Amex card. And judging from Curve have been saying so far, that is to be expected as they seem to report them to Amex as purchases rather than topping up a pre-paid card.

I imagine this could be part of the issue as Amex may indeed see it as top-ups.

It will be interesting to see whether Amex will claim the points back…

@jfallesen I suspect the more cogent issue is what happens to unspent balances within the wallets rather than the points. If someone topped-up, say, £10,000 to a BAPP to trigger the 241 and get 10,000 avios where are those funds now held if not spent? At best, it must be in a segregated account for Curve’s clients, but at what stage does that transfer to a segregated account happen: for example, do the funds sit within Curve’s own accounts for a period, thus exposing them to Curve’s own credit risk? Paying £10,000 for 10,000 avios and a 241 would be a poor trade if the £10,000 were subsequently lost.