Amex Blocks Curve in Anti-Competitive Move

Well said and please direct your negative comments to Amex who are on a roll as it seems, Curve was never a competitor it increased my amex spending now going to halve … their loss, was considering platinum upgrade too but i’ll stick to the free cards.

Curve still great for not weighing down your wallet and low FX fees…

can I have my rewards account unfrozen now… or is this all part of a damage limitation while you consider your options?

Can I have one of your spare metal cards instead of my plastic one too ? (perk for being a beta tester?)

A MasterCard account became Curve’s selling point for people wanting to use Amex.

You’ll be entitled to a full refund as you’re within Cooling Off Rights / 14 day period and have FCA regulations protecting you around that.

The question remains though that IF YOU MOVED OFF CURVE LEGACY BLACK FOR AMEX BENEFITS AND NOW THE RUG HAS BEEN PULLED FROM UNDER OUR FEET, WHETHER CURVE WILL DO THE RIGHT THING AND ALLOW US A ROLL BACK ONTO CURVE LEGACY BLACK ; NOW THE CARROT FOR MOVING OFF IT HAS VANISHED INTO A PUFF OF SMOKE ?

Would love some clarity here please Curve …

The right thing for Curve would be to let us go back to Black Legacy – We shall we.

It only happened last night, and suspect Curve have a heads in hands moment…!

I’m gonna spoil the party and say no. Why? It was said quite a few times on here if you move your screwed. (Said in a nicer way but the same applies.) Amex was only one of the many features enjoyed with a metal subscription anyway.

I think curve should just refund all subscriptions and roll everyone back onto existing plans and have another proper launch in the near future as this seems messed up.

I think the latest news really should supersede any previous statements about rolling back to Black Legacy.

So you’re not spoiling my party, I don’t go to them!

Folks, we’re all pretty annoyed- I just upgraded to metal for the same reason as many and am now likely to cancel that upgrade (not paying £15/ month for lesser benefits than I already have elsewhere) but let’s focus our energy on tackling the root of the problem- I’ll be expressing my disappointment at Amex strongly, not at curve staff.

Agreed! :+1:

All this is probably giving Curve a headache like no other!

Lol touché! It depends on how generous customer services are being I guess. I guess it all depends on how much they care about customer churn.

I have no dog in this fight as I’m a Curve legacy black user.

Yep I agree. A lot did it to get a shiny card only and they still get the benefits just without the functionality of Amex which we have all lost!

Thank you, I’m glad I’m not the only person thinking the way I am.

And a lot didn’t, I cancelled my ‘shiny’ cards with Revolut and N26 and upgraded with Curve to Metal based on the information presented to me at the time ~ bringing Amex benefits. The carrot to move wasn’t a shiny card but Amex benefits. This has now been superseded by the news that, that carrot that moved me OFF Curve Legacy Black has now vanished and so I expect to be put back into the previous position I was in.

Having just ordered a Curve Metal aswell, mainly for the Amex ability, I would also be looking for a refund if not sorted soon.

You might have a case if you was forced to move but alas…

New to the community but what a mess.

Since the update there has been a lot of errors.

My rewards card is inactive; my cards are all out of order (they were alphabetical); and it doesn’t show the merchants in the earn curve rewards section.

The subscriptions seemed overly priced for little benefit and now this whole sham with Amex.

What a rush job.

Luckily for me, other than topping up my amex card as a test, I decided against subscribing. I would like a metal card but that alone is not worth £14.99pcm.

I hope Curve sorts out the problems listed above and does the right thing by the disgruntled customers on here who have lost their legacy black accounts.

I’m sorry but shiny cards DO attract customers, on its own the ability to use Amex was never worth the money. No one was compensated the first time for losing Amex so why should they now? After all it was one of a number of features and benefits.

I agree 100 per cent. If I was customer services I would give anyone that moans 3 choices. 1st choice Curve black @ £9.99. 2nd choice Curve blue (free) 3rd choice is cancellation of contract with all monies returned.

This to me seems to be an Amex decision up high and more about Amex survival as an actual card rather than silly games.

Amex fees are higher but the customers generally spend more and will find stores that accept Amex. The customers get rewarded for their loyalty in finding places at accept Amex.

Amex also wants people walking into stores asking if they accept Amex and if they don’t walking out and buying from the shop next door that does. What I mean is - if Shell Petrol Stations stopped accepting Amex tomorrow, then many Amex customers who saw a £90 a week fill up as a good way to get points would drive to a BP garage and use their Amex there even it did cost £91.

Amex has two aims. Get more card holders but at the same time get more merchants.

If people realise that they can shop anywhere with their Amex regardless of whether they take Amex or not then that changes the business model of Amex and they are just a lender to a card and the Amex brand value falls.

Right now they are premium card service and I guess that is where they want to stay.

I would just say that I feel incredibly sorry for the staff at Curve, it must be a very worrying time.