Alipay launching

Do you have a plan to launch Alipay?

2 Likes

Did not hear of that one. But looks forward for the February updates

Bad to hear that.
It would be nice to use.

Do any of you have any knowledge of its features?

Same service as google pay or apple pay

1 Like

I thought it has no contactless, transactions don’t go through the MasterCard/ visa system. Transactions are done through 2d/3d barcode, a mobile payment system. More like PayPal, but a Chinese version of it.

1 Like

So it’s Chinese?

Yes…, “Alipay is a third-party mobile and online payment platform, established in Hangzhou, China in February 2004 by Alibaba Group and its founder Jack Ma.” From Wikipedia. As far as I know, no expert here, it has a few different versions, specific for each country it operates in. The one I have used lets you link credit/ debit card / bank account to it. When you pay a merchant, transaction is done via a 2d/3d barcode, both parties need to use their app, one show the code, the other scan it. Then it will charge your underlying funding source ( in a way quite similar to curve) and transfer the fund to the other end, they can them transfer the money to their bank account or just store it in in the app wallet in the alipay app.
I haven’t tried using my curve card there yet, and I am not planning to, so I cannot say whether it can be done or not.

There are other versions in other countries that I am aware of that don’t lets you link to a credit or debit card and can only load funds through a bank account or via convenient stores.

Thanks for the info, @cnchan :grin:

Yes it’s Chinese